Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Unregistered-Hugh

Good news; channel locks work great at releasing stripped and painted over screws in storm windows, straight edge knives and mud knives will release painted over windows.
      Bad news; after getting the windows to slide the orginal window putty is falling apart on most windows. How do I remove the remaining putty and what do I replace the putty with? Will a heat gun work with a chisel or am I missing a simpler solution, and will caulk work? Any tips on acheiving that smooth edge in the window corners? TIA

carl21l
      Participant

you can use a sharp wood chisel to remove old putty. if you try to use a heatgun, you will also loosen the paint, that is ok if you are going to clean and repaint. be careful not to remove the glazing points (little triangle or similar metal tabs) that secure the glass to the wood. NO caulk, use either new putty or the newer glazing compound. to get the smooth edges on the putty or glazing compound, use the flat blade of a 1 inch putty knife. if you dampen the blade of the putty knife, it is as easy as putting icing on a cake :o).

Carl

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.