Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      retire2
      Participant

I put a wood stove in my 24′ x 24′ garage. The chimney pipe goes through the ceiling and is connected to a class A chimney. I plan on enclosing the two sides and the back of the wood stove with sheet metal from the floor to the ceiling. On the front I plan on running sheet metal from the ceiling down halfway to the floor. I plan on running duct from a squirrel fan (taken from an old forced air furnace) to the top of the enclosure. My intent is to keep the sheet metal cool and to circulate the heat. I also plan on having a heat register at the top that I can open when the fan is not on. This would allow air to come in from the front and travel out the register by convection. Does anyone see any problems with this set-up?

homebild
      Participant

Yes.

You don’t say anything about “why” you want to do this and how you think this will improve your stove’s current performance.

Adding this metal alcove and a blower will not make the operation of the stove any more efficient and could actually make it less efficient.

Naturally occuring convection is likely now the best arrangement.

Also, you do not explain what the stove manufacturer or your local mechanical code requires for clearances to combustibles.
      and if it can be operated safely in any alcove at all.

While the steel alcove isn’t combustible, it could act as a chimney itself collecting and concentrating heat to the ceiling above which may be combustible.

All in all, what you propose appears to be unsafe and dangerous from here.

You need to consult the manufacturer of the stove and your local code officials before you do anything further.

Your answer may lie in better insulating your garage rather than in trying to reconfigure the stove.

Luck.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.