Viewing 17 reply threads
  • Author
      Phil Upman

I Have wood rot at the bottom of my front door frame. Is there a repair material available or do I have to replace the whole frame?

Bruce Miller

Hi Phil

Like all good answers, that depends.

If this is due to so called ‘dry rot’, then the cause is the wood losing its seal against moistrue and small microbes (molds, yiests, etc) getting into the wood fiber and basically digesting it. Of course the other potential problem is termites. Those will eat furrows out of the boards that as you cut into it you will plainly see. The only fix here is to remove all wood showing signs of termite infestation and then treating your whole house.

However, assuming its ‘dry rot’, what you want to do is take a sharp knife or ice pick and come up from the ground, poking into the wood until that wood is solid. Then with a chistle or drill powered sharp round wood rasp, grind out all of the rotted wood until you have bright and shinning wood showing. If this area is less than 4″ or so high and spread unevenly over the base of the door frame you should be able to repair it with epoxy. You can go to any good home improvement center and buy two part epoxy specifically for wood repair. Its kind of like mixing up Bondo for filling car dents. You then follow directions in mixing them and filling the wood voids. I always mix up a bit more than I need to ensure I have enough. Once mixed, It only stays workable for about 10 minutes or so, and you can start cutting/shaping it in about an hour, as I recall. Whats nice about using this stuff is that you can contour it and make it look like a continuation of existing molding. The epoxy is a little pricey, but its sure cheaper than replacing an entire wood column, wood pedistal, pilaster or door jam!

Best wishes

Bruce M

Carolyn

I’m looking for people who are experiencing wood rot from their wood windows, particulary of these brands:
      Norco, Pozzi, Wenco, Caradco and Anderson. There appears to be a major problem with wood windows installed within in the last 10 years or so. Many people in my city here in Kansas are having problems and are searching for ways to get the companies to accept responsibility. We also want to determine how widespread over the country it is. It appears to happen all over. Please email me directly (as well as to the group). I think the numbers of homeowners affected will be remarkable. Thanks.

steve splittgerber

hello all

seems I really got something started. well it’s been over a year, and still no results from my lawsuit-big surprise there— it will end up costing me as much as replacing my windows, but now it’s the principle of the thing. caradco put out junk in the mid to late nineties.At least Marvin stepped up to the plate and made things good, no such luck with Caradco. (which is now jeld-wen) a huge corporation. will keep you all informed if and when anything is finished. thanks for the support. steve splittgerber

Lance Briggs

In my 22 years of experience with Caradco Windows I have had very few poblems. Some of he issues you are having could be due to installation issues. Water should not get to your sills if you properly installed the units and if they were properly painted. Check with the company about their warranty policies. Contact your local Home Depot with your problems.

Brian

Water gets in AROUND the window, not through the surface of it. The leaks around the window are due entirely to installation problems. Buying inexepensive Caradco windows is great to save money, but hiring a low-cost inexperienced contractor makes your inexpensive windows, cheap windows.

Every window has to have flashing, a continuous metal (or plastic) barrier to water, installed around it’s perimeter. The seam between your siding and your window will let water in. The flashing will direct it away from the window and out of the wall. Some windows (vinyl ones) have an integral flange that acts as the flashing. This helps, but only if you like vinyl windows. For wood windows, there is usually a metal flange supplied with the window. This must be installed exactly how the manufacturer instructs. If it is not, it doesn’t matter how much you sue, you won’t get any money. Unless you can prove the window was originally installed exactly as the manufacturer recommends, the manufacturer isn’t liable. If you hired the contractor, sue them. If you inherited the windows when you bought the house, you’re screwed!

I am an architect and have used Caradco windows in a number of residential additions (using highly skilled contractors) and have had no complaints from the home owners.

DL

JELD-WEN has developed a new wood preserve that should prevent the wood rot everyone seems to be having trouble with. Its called Auralast. Its available on Pozzi Windows right now but should be available in Caradco soon. This article talks about it some more.

http://www.housingzone.com/topics/pb/cmaterials/pb04aa021.asp

BILL SIEGENTHALER

I HAVE ONE WINDOW SO FAR. IT IS ROTTED SO BAD, IT CAN’T BE OPENED OR THE GLASS WILL FALL OUT. I’M JUST STARTING TO CHECK OUT THE OTHER WENCO WINDOWS FOR ROT.

D Hembree

10 year old caradco windows casement & doublehung wood rot with several windows

jeanne scargall

Ok, so they rotted, but after I replaced them and paid to have the new ones installed, the grills from the former window did not fit. I am 3 weeks from closing on the sale of this house, and I cannot seem to get them replaced. I have owned other homes and let me tell you …these are junk!!

PMW

I just wanted to write a quick note of thanks to Caradco for their quick response to the problem we experienced with one of our windows. As it turned out, it wasn’t one of your windows at all but you guys really came up to the plate for us.

Additionally, and more importantly, I would like to tell you that your outside field rep who was the consummate professional and an excellent representation of your company. He was most knowledgeable, polite and really went beyond the call of corporate duty to help us solve our problem.

In this day of poor service, bad attitude and corporate greed, he really broke the mold. Again, I thank you and your firm. When it comes time to replace all my windows, I’ll certainly be buying from your fine line of products solely due to the treatment we received during this troubling episode.

allen7
      Participant

Well over 1 year ago I placed a commentary on your website regarding Caradco…the company and their product. I did so more out of frustration because attempts on my part to obtain resolution from the company were unsuccessful. Like so many others, I too had relatively new windows that were literally rotting off of the house…a most distressing situation and feeling. Now, you need to hear “the rest of the story.” A few months ago I was contacted by a representative of Caradco and was asked if I would be willing to let them inspect my house and windows. Initially I was excited to hear from the company but quickly returned to the state of mind that this was probably an effort designed to produce little more than “eye wash.” Not the case at all! I have just received 27 new windows, compliments of Jen-Weld/Caradco. These are windows that in every regard are better than the original product installed on my house. Among numerous other things, Jen-Weld/Caradco has given me a 20 year guarantee (Auralast) to go along with this product. These people have gone far and away beyond what I would consider to be “normal” problem/product resolution. This is what separates the Best of Class (which is what I consider Jen-Weld/Caradco to be)from the wana-be’s and shysters. I might also add that I still await responses from Huddig Building Materials and Sierra-Pacific on doors that are rotting off of my house(you might guess what category that I might place them into). It is not a question of if but a question of when I build again, I will use products from Jen-Weld…both windows and doors. This is rare treatment indeed in today’s world and I will do all that I can to support it! I might also add in closing that I am indebted to the staff at *** **** for their unseen efforts and involvement through their website and bulletin board. Regards, Allen C. Garner, Jr.

Unregistered-Jim Montgomery

It gives me hope when I hear that someone actually got a positive response to their rotting Caradco window problem. The product was obviously defective… look at all of the desperate people on this site looking for answers. I also have rotting Caradco windows and it began almost immediately after we moved into our new home 10 years ago. I tried contacting the vendor that we bought the windows from and I fought the good fight but I was given so many excuses as to why the rotting windows were not their problem it would make your head spin. So here I am with wood petrifier, puddy, and more paint in hand and my windows, every single window in my house,… well they are still rotting away.

Anonymous
      Participant

Hi all, Jen-Weld/Caradco contacted us. Here is what they said.

discussions.tommmymac.us

MESSAGE FROM CARADCO:

Occasionally, a window is installed improperly or improperly maintained. In rare instances there may be a problem with the preparation of a window.

Caradco products have been manufactured for almost 140 years. We take pride in our work and our satisfied customers.  If you have concerns about a Caradco product we want to hear from you and we will do everything we can to help.

Caradco products recently became part of the JELD-WEN family.  Please contact us at (800) 626-3105 and ask for Greg Braaten (extension 7678) or Bill Wiedman (extension 7604).  If you can’t reach them, I am also available at extension 7472.  I’ll be glad to help.

Jim Atkins
      Warranty Services Manager
      JELD-WEN Window Division

valnles
      Participant

We are new second owners to our home. We found after two months of owning the home that every window (60) was rotted to the point of sawdust. When contacting Coradco since the windows are still in the warranty period they do not want to honor it because we are second owners. Has anyone else had this problem and how did you resolve it?

Unregistered-R Harper

Like many others I have several Caradco windows that have rotten sashes and sills. Has there been any action on a class action lawsuit?

Unregistered-flag@tusco.net

I have a commercial building 8 years old with awning sashes rotting out under the aluimun clad. I need replacement sashes? Help!

RobertIN
      Participant

We purchased our home from the original owners and it was built in 1995. Caradco windows were used throughout. Now, just a little over 10 years after being built the majority of the windows (>75%) are showing some signs of rotting out – either in the brick molding at the bottom or in the casement window sashing itself. With such a systemic problem as I am having, it didn’t surprise me much that I’d find the level of disappointed customers on this website.

Does anyone have an update on the level of service being performed by Jeld-Wen to correct what appears to be a manufacturer problem? I also see some discussion of a potential class action; while I’m not keen on going that route, if the company isn’t standing behind their product then I’d be interested in knowing if any progress was made on this front as well.

Thanks!

Viewing 17 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.