• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Hugh Hardie

I want to buy a mitre saw. I am on a budget but want to get a quality product. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hugh

Henry in MI

Hi, Hugh. The problem with a question like this on the board is that most of the posters have one miter saw at most. But that is easily handled. If you check the magazines, like Wood magazine, they can test and compare the products and report their findings. They can also report which ones they consider to be the best overall and the best value. Since this is an investment for you, you might check your library to see if they have the issues where miter saws are compared. As I recall, since there are so many variations (10 and 12 inch and straight miter versus compound miter) there have been several reports over the last couple of years.

Good luck

Henry in MI

Colo. Bob

I dont know what your budget is but for many of us a miter saw gets used alot and it makes since to get a good one. I was in the market myself awhile back and the chat raves tended toward Hitachi 10″ dual compound slide (which I got) and Dewalt 12″ compound which I’ve used and liked. For many years I used a Makita 10″ and I liked it just fine. Its a little smaller and lighter than the other two which is good if shop space is an issue or if you tote it from job to job. I suspect it’s less expensive too

Rob McCormack

I bought a Pro Tech miter saw from lowes. It was the lowest priced one there. I only use it occansionally for jobs around the house. I have done some big jobs such as construct 250′ of interior walls and build a large wooden swing set for my kids. It performs just as good as any dewalt, makita I have ever touched. Save your money. Any body can shoot their mouth off about the biggest or best tools, but unless you are a contractor, you don’t need the fancy stuff.

Linda Lawson

I would like to purchase the above for my diy husband. I understand there are reasonable priced saws around the £70. Please advise

jon syvors

what’s the difference between a sliding compound miter saw,compound miter,and a miter saw??? Please help me, Ineed to buy one to finish my basement… thank you.

Unregistered-len hieronymus

I plan to build a modified post & beam shed, 16′ by 16′. Beams to be used are 6″ by 6″. What would be the best power saw to use to make the 90 degree cross-cuts? Could I use a miter saw to make angle cuts for support beams?

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.