Tommy Mac Discussions Forums Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum what to do- Husband flooded kitc/office/living room

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      jodiekareem
      Participant

Yesterday my husband was “fixing” kitchen faucet. Long story. Ended up flooding kitchen (ceramic tiles), office (hardwood floors), and half of living room (carpet). We live in Houston, TX–where we have to worry about mold. My husband and I are very new to owning home. What should we be doing with carpet and pad? noticed the office room wood is starting to buckle up. We need help and money is tight, so we need to do this on our own.

Unregistered-lg

“What should we be doing with carpet and pad?”

carpet extractor and fans.

good chance to clean (or have cleaned) carpets.

Bruno1949
      Participant

several times to draw out as much moisture as you can Vacuum the kitchen floor and under the appliances if possible. Open all the lower cupboard doors and open the windows and doors and set fans to blow dry air into the cabinets and across the carpeting.

There isn’t much you can do about the hardwood floors. They MIGHT, maybe, return to normal after they dry out for a week or two but I wouldn’t bet on it. The odds are the hardwood floor is ruined and will have to be replaced.

An important and expensive lesson in knowing where the shut off valves are, and where the ‘whole house’ shut off valve is BEFORE you start plumbing repairs. The main valve is something you don’t want to be frantically searching for as the water spreads throughout the house!

Good luck on the repairs and recovery.

homebild
      Participant

Call your insurance company.

They will send out a company that specializes in smoke and water damage.

All you will pay is the deductible.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.