Tommy Mac Discussions Forums Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum What to do about non-responsive contractors

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-Mike M

I have a situation where our kitchen remodellers have suddenly become non-responsive about 85% of the way to completing the kitchen. Multiple phone calls have produced nothing. The original estimate for time-to-complete was 10 days. It’s now into the fourth month. They’ve also done some wacky things along the way which I had to correct on my own. Mind you, this is just hanging some cabinets and putting in granite counter tops. I am doing the sink, plumbing, appliances, etc, myself. It’s absolutely ludicrous that it has become this complicated for such a simple task.

The question is, at this point, what are my options? Do I sue in small claims court? Do I go to the State (California) Contractors License Board? The Better Business Bureau?

Will the threat of legal action produce results?

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I’ve been extremely patient up to this point, but my patience has finally run out. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

MiniFoxx
      Participant

Wouldn’t that be nice? Sounds like your contractor is related to my landlord!!

Anyway as I read what you have done yourself, the only question that came to my thoughts was “What did the contractor do?”

I would be sure to document everything that you have done and what it, if any, has cost you, your time involved, etc. I would definately get one of those free consults that lawyers do and see what your options are with that avenue. The licensing board and the BBB sound like terrific ideas also. I would do everything you can. How many others has this guy ripped off and they just didn’t know any better than to take his every word for gold…

JMHO

MiniFoxx
      Moderator – Construction Project Blog
      http://discussions.tommmymac.us/BBS/Construction_Project_Blog/flat-page1.html

Some have better luck next time around,
      some don’t, and some don’t even try.

Unregistered-Carl

Follow my advice exactly. Call them 3 times per day on each of their numbers. Eventually they will want to get you out of their hair. Your contractor type is one that operates by the “squeeky wheel gets the oil” method. That’s why they aren’t there. They are dealing with a squeekier wheel.

Anonymous
      Participant

Unfortunately this is a common contractor ill. I would contact your District Attorney’s Consumer Protection Department. I doubt this guys are licensed or the work they are doing requires a license so I don’t know whether your Jurisdiction’s Inspection Department would be affective.
      However this changes by jurisdiction. Call your Inspection Department and ask them if this work requires a license and if it does then they will likely help you enforce completion of the job. Ah=ha I just noticed you are from California. The home of the most licenses for the most professions ever.
      (In California I think you must have a license to watch mice eat). Call your City and they will likely bust these guys butts. But. I think your position should be Breach of Contract asking for an adjusted monetary judgement instead of enforcement which would order them to complete the work.
      It is common for this level of contractor to take money to start the job and then they don’t have the money to finish and/or they start another job and get another chunk of money.
      Small Claims is good too if these guys have any money. You could also have an attorney send them a demand letter. I won’t have them do any more work.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.