Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-ksini

We recently moved into a new house in the MidWest. This weekend, we noticed water running down the walls in our master bedroom. The wall is on the other side of our chimney, so I assume that water is getting in the chimney somewhere. Who do I call for this? A chimney repair person? I’m afraid it’s too complicated for a general fix-it person.

riverhawk
      Participant

If it wwas I –I would ask people who their favorite responsible roofer is. Then I would show him the problem and he should get you good to go..

Faron79
      Participant

Wow! This is not a good thing you have goin’ on here!!!
      First…
      Is the chimney all brick, or just a steel-sided “box” going up the side of the house??
      Most likely, there’s some bad metal flashing and/or sealant around where the chimney comes through the roof.
      Also…
      At the very top, if it’s a masonry cap, the mortar/cement should be sloped away from the metal sleeves of the pipe.
      Further…If it’s been leaking a while, you could be soon developing mold between walls if some of the leak is BEHIND the walls! This happens more than you think.
      The Builder…You’ll have to have them get after any subcontractors. You must have some kind of warranty period with the builder.
      Hope this helps!
      Faron

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.