Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      lgoldblatt
      Participant

We live in a house on a slab with furnace ducting underground. We woke up yesterday morning to gurgling sounds in the vents.. Not a good morning sound. Furnace guy says the high water table (very rainy) allowed it to seep in, and it wouldn’t damage anything, but it’s sure noisy when the fan’s running. I don’t even know how to get the water OUT of there, since i can’t see down the duct far enough to find it.

We just had soffiting/gutter work started, and the gutters are not up yet I noticed water running off the roof, and it’s probably not being carried away properly.

Is this something we can live with since it’s HOPEFULLY temporary due to the gutters? Is it REALLY causing no damage to the furnace? Will they continue to leak now that they’ve started? I can’t get any answers from local home improvement store. They just say “you could try but i dont know if it’ll work”….

Anonymous
      Participant

The furnace is above the slab and will probably not be harmed. The metal ductwork under the slab does rust out. You may be able to wet vac the water out from the plenum beneath the blower motor, after you take out the filter. Once your gutters are back up and if you have no more problem then you may want to consider having your ducts cleaned to remove mold spoors.
      I would not expect a home improvement store salesmen to have better advice than a tradesperson.

lgoldblatt
      Participant

Thanks for the replies.. We took a 3/4″ sump pump with hose input/output and pulled out enuf that we at least dont have a mega-humidifier or all the noise. I looked at the pumps to use with a drill, and they just dont move enough water. it took about an hour with the 1400gph pump.. We put up a set of temporary gutters, just to catch & carry away water. Looks like something out of MouseTrap or a Rube Goldberg winner, but it’s working till they do the real thing.

I am VERY glad to hear the furnace won’t likely be damaged. I’d like to damage the people that are SUPPOSED to be putting up our gutters tho.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.