Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-countrybumpkin

just wondered if anyone can help. i have had previous damp problems on my bedroom ceiling its an end of terrace rented house and its roughly 12 years old i have had mould growing in corner and above window on ceiling. i have had 1/2 bedroom painted with some kind of antifungal paint ceiling and walls i have recently removed mould and painted affected areas with damp sealant and re painted bedroom all was fine for about a month then i notice water droplets forming where the mould was. housing association say its condensation. they cant do anything more they have checked insulation is right up to edges i have brought dehumidifier and run it mostly at night i keep bathroom door shut the bedroom is well ventilated on sunny days. the housing association say its because of us breathing at night etc is there anything else i can do? im at the end of my teather!

Bruno1949
      Participant

Someone is handing you a line here. The only way you could breathe out enough moisture to have it condense on the ceiling is if the room was the size of a closet and totally airtight.

If the moisture is really condensation then the humidity levels are high and that area is colder than the rest of the ceiling. Wet insulation doesn’t provide any real insulating value so even if it’s there it’s bad. Either there is an air leak in that area making it colder or the problem isn’t condensation. Maybe there’s a water leak above that area? There is something going on and it’s not your breathing!

Unregistered-HVAC Guy

Above the ceiling, check the ductwork serving that room. The insulation on the duct may have fallen away or the duct itself could be separated. These problems could cause a cool surface that would create condensation and drip through to the ceiling gyp board.

Lukspencer
      Participant

This has probably been told to you a million times now but here goes again…If you have a cool spot on your wall or ceiling and the air is warm and moist the water will condensate in the area of coolness. If you happen to be on a concrete slab, and the vapor barrier is compromised then the water can evaporate off the floor and condensate on the ceiling (sounds like a stretch but I have seen it). If you think this may be your problem, I would attempt to seal the floor with a concrete sealer (x2) then reapply my flooring.

**A side note to this would be if you live in a particularly humid area I would make sure my windows are sealing well…I had a leaky window at my house that has caused all kinds of irritating problems.

hope this helps

Luke Spencer
      http://www.popssurvivalguide.com

doug seibert
      Participant

Countrybumpkin is posting from the UK….

“……measure Once…..cut Twice….
      throw that one away and cut a new one….”

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.