Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Unregistered-krc328ic

I have a water leak in the foundation around the pipe goes out to the septic tank. I assume I will have to dig up the area where the pipe goes through and seal it up but with what? Is there some sort of membrane like you use on the roof? Load it up with tar? Its a real shame cause the house is only 4 years old!
      Any advice would be great.

homebild
      Participant

For a house 4 years old the good news is that your waste lines are likely 4″ PVC schedule 40.

This should mean that your problem lies with an imporperly glues joint or a joint that someone forget to glue with PVC solvent.

If so, the fix does require digging to expose the leaking joint, but often a swipe around the coupling with a bit of solvent will seal it up permanently.

If the joint has completely pulled away from the coupling or if there is another type of problem requiring cutting the pipe, a Fernco rubber coupling is usually used to make the repair.

See http://www.fernco.com for types of 4″ sewer pipe couplings.

But you may also find that the sewer/waste pipe works just fine and the leakage is only the result of groundwater enetering the basmement thru an improperly sealed pipe thru the foundation.

In that case, hydraulic cement around the exiting sewer pipe may solve the dilemma.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.