• This topic has 39 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 17 years, 11 months ago by Unregistered-ryander1@comcast.net.
Viewing 39 reply threads
  • Author
      Mark H

Can someone help me? My fairly new Maytag Neptune washing machine stops for no apparent reason about 3-5 times per load. I have to push start each time and it continues on as normal. I have been told this is because I may have overstuffed it too often. Is there any advice you can give as to what I can do to fix it.

Rip

If I remember correctly these washers have an out of balance switch.. if it is over stuffed, out of balance and it goes into spin cycle it will shut down, but it is also supposed to start back up. The problem too maybe your washer is out of level, this would throw a level spin cycle out of level.. or maybe it’s defective…consult with the instruction manual to find out if this is normal.

good luck

joe nagel

other then having mold around the seal and not draining water completly we are happy with the neptune. the machine is now not rinsing it starts to but the water shuts of in about a second. would you what would be causing this problem

we have tried all the cycle and it is the same it starts to rinse then stops. thanks joe nagel

greg

My first call to Maytag resulted in Maytag sending me the boot seal (door seal) and the “machine control board” (door latch control board). The refered to this as the “enhancement kit.” They also sent a fax to the appliance store informing them that Maytag would cover the cost of service.

The service man called, informed me that the the “Enhancement Kit” is not what I need – my Neptune washer came with the enhancement kit. He told me that I should call Maytag and ask them to cover the door-latch assembly and and the machine control board. Maytag refused to cover either of these parts, even thought they had originally agreed to cover the machine control board as part of the enhancement kit.

The instructed me to take advantage of their generous offer to cover the labor cost of replacing the boot seal, buy the new parts and have the service people install the control board and door latch (about $200 in parts) when they are replacing the boot seal.

Judith Bodnar

Anybody know if this means ‘failed lock’ or something like that?

Andre

How do I fix the door lock? What parts do I need.

Can I do this myself, I do have some basic repair experience

Molly Milford

I am sorry to hear that all of you have had such problems with the neptune. I have had a my Maytag Neptune for 5 years and have had one service call. I called Maytag and they were happy to help with the cost of the repair. I have friends and family who own other brand washing machines (and other appliances)that have had problems and when the company called there was nothing provided for free. Maytag is the only company I have ever delt with that had wonderful customer service and was more than happy to help the consumer. If I needed a service call now I understand I am out of my warranty and would have to pay for this. It’s like anything else you buy. Any product that is made is going to have some kind of failure at one time or the other…that is like and we have to deal with it. I will always purchase Maytag, no other company will help you if you are out of your warranty and Maytag does this as a courtesy, not because they have to.

Rita

I have purchased a new Neptune Stack washer/dryer combo, but it hasn’t been delivered yet. After ready through this website I’m considering cancelling my order. Has anyone had any negative experience with the combo set? Or are these problems common with both individual sets and combo sets? I’d like to know before they get delivered this weekend. Thanks to all.

Carrie

I did a search and in a round about way found this guys page……wow! It’s great, it tells what parts you need to fix this and have it never happen again, all for less than 20 bucks and without ordering parts from the crooks at Maytag. Here’s the web address

http://members.shaw.ca/gavb/

janet

my washer stopped working no light on when i open the door… the message i got said ..it appears the door has not been open since the last cycle to open and reclose it and push start. i did and nothing.. has anyone else had this problem.. the repair man said he had not hear that message before,, but, is ordering boards for it ,,

Julie Ireland

This is washer has been nothing but trouble. Today a repair man/woman will be out for the third time in 9 months, one being last week. My husband has continued to correspond with Maytag regarding the same reoccuring problem of not spinning properly and mold spells and has received no satisfaction. If anyone has advice about a lawsuit, please let us know. Thanks

Chuck In Newton IA,50208 home of the maytag washer

Hello, First off let me say i am a mayatag repairman. I own a mah3000aww maytag neptune washer and repair Frigidare, Whirlpool and Maytag washers and dryers all day long. I do think that the maytag is the best of the three front load washers, with out any question. BUT, It is not the same quality that Maytag made it’s name on. People are so use too not thinking or caring about how they use their washer. They use them the wrong way and cause many of these problems them self.

Please let me finish!

1. the mold issue) do not use so much soap and softner!

This machine uses 12 gallons of water max per fill. (compared to 20-24 gallons) and that 12 gallons is with more clothes in the washer then other washers.

Do use warm water rinses (detergent makers testing is 70degrees F is cold water) we all know that warm water can carry more detergent then cold , just like tea hot tea can hold more sugar then ice tea.

Do NOT use fabric softner (if you do use it the correct way more is not better)

the mold issue is caused by the detergent and softner not getting rinsed from clothes and sticking to the front of the machine(use the extra rinse on big loads)But once you get the mold on the boot it will not come off it must be replaced.

A simple test goto your dresser or linen closet and load the washer with clean clothes then set the washer to wash in warm water or hot and let it run about 5 min then turn unit off and open the door you will see the clothes are so full of detergent that it is no wonder you have a mold issue.

OK i am sorry but i have a service call on a neptune i must go and do but i will post here in a few hours with some other things please send me any emails i will respond to you if it is not in the hundreds cjhawkins@msn.com

Hello, First off let me say i am a mayatag repairman. I own a mah3000aww maytag neptune washer and repair Frigidare, Whirlpool and Maytag washers and dryers all day long. I do think that the maytag is the best of the three front load washers, with out any question. BUT, It is not the same quality that Maytag made it’s name on. People are so use too not thinking or caring about how they use their washer. They use them the wrong way and cause many of these problems them self.

Please let me finish!

This machine uses 12 gallons of water max per fill. (compared to 20-24 gallons) and that 12 gallons is with more clothes in the washer then other washers.

Do use warm water rinses (detergent makers testing is 70degrees F is cold water) we all know that warm water can carry more detergent then cold , just like tea hot tea can hold more sugar then ice tea.

the mold issue is caused by the detergent and softner not getting rinsed from clothes and sticking to the front of the machine(use the extra rinse on big loads)But once you get the mold on the boot it will not come off it must be replaced.

A simple test goto your dresser or linen closet and load the washer with clean clothes then set the washer to wash in warm water or hot and let it run about 5 min then turn unit off and open the door you will see the clothes are so full of detergent that it is no wonder you have a mold issue.

OK i am sorry but i have a service call on a neptune i must go and do but i will post here in a few hours with some other things please send me any emails i will respond to you if it is not in the hundreds cjhawkins@msn.com

Please let me finish!

Daniel

I too have the same problem, I removed the control board and R11 is burned out. They told me it’s $200.00 for a new board. They also told me that there is a newer version of the board, I hope the newer version resolves this problem from happening again. I had purchased my machine in 1998.

Nick

Have the no spin problem, R11 fried. Can’t find a manual to tell me how to get into door latch assembly to check/replace wax motor. Anyone know how?

Andrea

I have a different complaint about my FAV6800 top load washer. This machine binds my pants and shirts into tight knots. Everything comes out really wrinkled. Does anybody else have this issue? The repairman who came to fix my dryer told me that it was a common complaint among new (top load) neptune owners. He recommended going through the chain of customer service reps, establish a case number and be a squeaky wheel.

James

I just found out that the Duet I purchased is made to dump the suds onto the floor out a hole in the back of the washer. No one told me this before I bought it. Why would they make a machine to do that?

Lars

My washer does not cycle properly the timer reads one thing and the machine is doing something else. The water also drains very slowly and it does not spin when it should.

adrienne soltys

I am glad I watched Shame on You the other night. It was all about Maytag Neptune washers and the mold problem. I bought mine when they first came out. Sounded great! Now I would love to get rid of it. Nothing but trouble. Maytag used to be the BEST. I am amazed by how many people have posted messages on this site. I’m sure there are many more who have problems with Maytag, and don’t know about this site. We should band together and do a class action lawsuit to get satisfaction from Maytag. I phoned customer service yesterday and was told if I want the gasket replaced (I already had it replaced once, and the mold returned) I would have to pay for it. Maytag has washed their hands of us (no pun intended) I’ve put a couple hundred dollars into fixing other problems with it when it leaked and ruined the floor and the basement ceiling, so I’m not about to throw good money after bad. Please somebody, let me know how to go about joining lawsuit in progress. Otherwise, if you read this and want to start a lawsuit, I’m interested.

Rob A

I’ve also had mold/mildew problems since I bought my Maytag Neptune washer for $1,000 at Sears in August 2000.

Two days ago, the circuit board burnt up and now the washer won’t work.

Neither Maytag’s “PriorityOne Service” nor the two local authorized Maytag service/repair centers have provided any compensation for this lemon.

Rather than paying $300 to repair the circuit board, I’m throwing out the washer and buying another brand.

Linda H.

My Neptune has had mold and still does even after replacing the door, and the control panel. It still smells like mold.

Nat

I must say that I’m very disheartened to read so many complaints about the Neptune washers. Just curious: I’m not yet 90 days into owning my stacked model, and I’m already expecting a repair visit in two days because the washer continually stops less than a minute after I press the Start button. WTF??? It seems like most of the complaints on this site are about the non-stacked models. Has anyone else had any problems with my model?

By the way, with the fear that’s risen in me since reading your complaints, I tried to check whether I could return my unit to Home Depot. I was told that since it’s an appliance, it’s not included in the “any purchase can be returned for a refund within 90 days with a receipt.” I was also told that anyone can write anything on the Internet and that therefore I shouldn’t believe everything I read.

So now I’m stuck with what hopefully won’t turn out to be a dud (we’ll see what the repairman says). I hope I’ll be able to tack on an extended warranty; sounds like I might need it in the future! 🙁

I’m not shopping at Home Depot again, nor will I ever recommend a Maytag to anyone!

Nat

I must say that I’m very disheartened to read so many complaints about the Neptune washers. Just curious: I’m not yet 90 days into owning my stacked model, and I’m already expecting a repair visit in two days because the washer continually stops less than a minute after I press the Start button. WTF??? It seems like most of the complaints on this site are about the non-stacked models. Has anyone else had any problems with my model?

By the way, with the fear that’s risen in me since reading your complaints, I tried to check whether I could return my unit to Home Depot. I was told that since it’s an appliance, it’s not included in the “any purchase can be returned for a refund within 90 days with a receipt.” I was also told that anyone can write anything on the Internet and that therefore I shouldn’t believe everything I read.

So now I’m stuck with what hopefully won’t turn out to be a dud (we’ll see what the repairman says). I hope I’ll be able to tack on an extended warranty; sounds like I might need it in the future! 🙁

I’m not shopping at Home Depot again, nor will I ever recommend a Maytag to anyone!

Maddy

I’ve posted this before but I see how many new people

are on this site complaining about their Maytag

Neptune since I explained this months ago.

Go online and find the Atty General’s office for

Tennessee. This is where the Maytag corporate office

is located…Fill out their form online as it relates to your

complaint. It’s a bureau of consumer affairs. Be

clear and document your repairs, your expenses

and state what kind of satisfaction you want from

Maytag.

Go online to the BBB in Tennesse and fill out their

form…giving the same information.

It is totally useless and a waste of your time to call

Maytag’s customer service department. It seems as if

children are running the company and do not help

anyone. I’ve spent close to 15 weeks learning what

I’m sharing with you all. I’d wake up every morning

and start calling the #800 Maytag customer service

department thinking I’d get help. I didn’t. You must

report them to the proper agencies and let them

trouble shoot with you…

Within a day or two after getting your problem documented onliine, both agencies will contact the

corporate Maytag office…What happened was that

the office of the President called me personally and

asked what my problem was. It was like most of yours…

but I had a 2 year old stackable washer dryer with

at least 12 repairs and the extended service people

from my contract wouldn’t come fix it without having

me wait for weeks on end getting parts. The same

parts broke over and over…door locking assemblies,

motor boards, I had mold, water left in the machine,

the dryer timer broke 3 times. Even more problems,

but remember to speak VERY NICELY if Maytag people

talk to you directly. The assistent to the President

can either help you or get pissed off if you try to

tell her that Maytag makes garbage…I had to be

nicer than I wantedd to…and I did get a new machine.

The pressure to make me happy came from the

BBB and the Attorney General’s office in Tennessee.

They were both waiting to hear if Maytag satisfied me.

I merely said “I want my machine replaced”…

If any of you have problems, keep writing to the

agencies again and again….They are there to help

troubleshoot consumer complaints like the ones we

all had/have.

Good luck to you all! What I learned from this

experience was that you can’t get satisfaction until you

complaint to the consumer agencies…

Greg

I just finished repairing my own control board on my Neptune. Here is the culprit, the wax motor that they carried over from dishwashers wash not the best choice for a washing machine. I took the wax door lock motor aoart and it was corroded. I thought to myself that they should silicone this thing. Geuss what they did. But when the wax motor shorts oout it takes out “R11” and “Q6” on the main control board. “R11” is a 3.9K OHM resistor 1/4 watt carbon resistor. Q6 is a Triac (nice name for a relay) The original is a “MAC97A6” a better replacemet is a “MAC97A8” They are bothe available from a company called digikey 1-800-344-4539 (I DO NOT WORK for them). Other than that you will a $10.00 soldering gun desoldering braid , and the proper solder, available from Radio Shack. There are other links on the web with more detailed information. I did the repair and it worked. (just be patient and the door will lock and it will spin). It takes almost 10 minutes for the wax door motor to heat up enough to lock the door. Good luck.

Ann in Waltham, MA

Given what I have experienced with my Neptune washer recently, the postings on this site have given me some perverse pleasure in knowing that my problems could be worse(???)

I bought my Neptune washer in 2000 (and apparently was extremely lucky that I did not get the dryer, too). Everything about it (energy conservation) is what I am all about (for example, I drive a Prius).

While doing a load of wash two weeks ago, I smelled what seemed to be rubber burning. The door lock light went off before the wash cycle ended. Fortunately, I had purchased an extended (5 year)warranty with Sears when I bought the washer. A repair person came the day after I called and determined that the washer needed a new control board, latch spring, and wax motor. He ordered the parts to be dropped shipped to my house and set up another date to install the said parts. The parts have not yet arrived, and I have had to cancel two repair dates…And, yes, those mold problems sound quite familiar.

My Prius is wonderful, as are my energy efficient Panasonic air conditioners, but Maytag is off my list.

Do you think that I will ever see those parts????

Unregistered-candlesbychris

I’ve had my washer and dryer for 5 yrs..NEVER a problem with either…until now.One night, I went to switch loads and opened up the door and tons of water came pouring out. I quickly shut the door, but the water kept leaking out.I had to turn the circuit breaker back on, and then it started filling with water…and filling and filling.The water would not shut off.I had to use the shut-off to stop the water.I put it into the empty cycle and then it emptied and spun out.Called the Maytag repair man. Estimate was for a circuit board and timer,$110 service call…$281 parts. Then he said the barring is going, probably a year from now, and that will be another $400.You know, I was told when shopping around for a washer, that there is hardly anything that could go wrong with this machine, and that it would probably be the last machine I would buy in my lifetime. I knew THAT probably wasn’t true. Since my last Maytag cost us $350 and lasted 25 years,with laundry of 7 people, I decided to take the plunge, even though the Neptune was so costly.FIVE YEARS AND LAUNDRY OF 2 PEOPLE…SOMETHING IS WRONG WITH THIS PICTURE.I know deep down, we should just replace it…but I feel screwed out of $1000 for the cost of this machine.I don’t have the kind of money to just chuck this up as a bad experience!Help me decide what to do.I really loved this machine until this happened, and now reading on this site,and having a problem different than everyone else, I’m so undecided on what to do.I’ve never had the mold problem. Decisions, decisions…

Unregistered-lcelia@vtecsystems.com

the hot water is coming out just fine, but cold water is not making it? Anyone know what it might be?

thanks!

Unregistered-rslezak

I just had the motor and motor controller replaced; after doing so I now notice that when I add bleach immediately after hitting the “start” button the bleach drains instantly and does not add at a later point in the wash.

I did not notice it doing that previously, does anyone know at what point in the wash cycle the bleach is to be added?

Thanks for any suggestions or comments.
      Robert

Unregistered-ace1304

Hi Been in appliance repair field fo 25 years, The ne maytags top load or front load are not very well designed or built. Look ait yhe front load washer from LG electronics So far the one that we are testing looks good

Unregistered-booboo1410

Bought the front loading Neptune with matching dryer in 1999. We’ve had the mold, smell, stoppage, etc… They replaced the door and the board (2 times-it went out again before 30 days was up) and still have the mold and smell. We’ve used the HE detergent all along and so that can’t be a problem that we’ve created. The mold is still there and the clothes don’t come out smelling clean and fresh. In fact, they smell (especially the towels) like they have been sitting in the very back of the closet for a very, very long time – you know that body oily kind of smell? We then tried other non HE detergents to see if the clothes would “freshen” up and that doesn’t work, they don’t have any clean scent at all almost as if they wasn’t any soap in it. We’ve done the bleach, hot water, vinegar loads to clense the machine and that is a bunch of cr@p as that didn’t/doesn’t help at all either.

We’ve just gotten the class action lawsuit papers in the mail and can’t wait to get our refund… I want our baby in clean clothes! We bought this as a wedding gift to ourselves, expecting it to last a long, long time, looks like Hollywood marriages have outlasted this poor machine!

Unregistered-Ann Neff

Gentlemen:
      I have contacted you twice and I continue to have the mold in the front of my maytag washer. All the ideas that you have forwarded to me aren’t working. I am having to run an extra load of vinagar and literally wipe it down after my weekly washing. It doesn’t smell good at all. PLease come up with something else, I really love my maytag but am beginning to doubt my self judgement in buying one.

Thanks

Handyman
      Participant

There is a series of Self Administered product repair guides here:
      http://www.maytag.com/mths/cust_serv/troubleshooting/default.jsp?

There is also a Class Action Settlement on their Front Loader.
      http://www.maytagfrontloadsettlement.com/

This is a list of Included Model Numbers from their site:

MLE2000AYW
      MLE2000AWW
      MLE2000AZW
      MLG2000AWW (GAS STACK UNIT)
      MAH3000AAW
      MAH3000AEW
      MAH3000AGW
      MAH3000AWA
      MAH3000AWW
      MAH3000BGW
      MAH4000AWW
      MAH4000BWW
      MAH4000AWQ
      MAH4000BWQ
      MAH5500AWW
      MAH5500BWW
      MAH5500BWQ
      MAH55FLBWW
      MAH55FLBWQ
      MAH6500AWW
      MAH6500AWQ
      MAH7500AWW
      MAH7500AWQ
      MAH7550AAW
      MAH7550AGW

Unregistered-jim

i too have had the problem of the washer stopping frequently. what i have found is that the filter screens on both ends of the hose get clogged up and don’t deliver enough water to the machine causing it to shut down. when this starts to happen simply remove the hoses and clean the screens and replace. I find this very toublesome to do since my machines are not located in a very accessable area, but it does seem to work, and keep the machine running for about 2 months. For as much as i paid for these machines you would think that maytag would find a better solution.

Unregistered-garygdj

My 5 year old Maytag Neptune Works great! Yes I had a mold problem but it does not take rocket science to figure out that if you dry the rubber thing where all the water collects at the end of your wash day and leave the door cracked so that it can dry you won’t have too much of a problem. Then Maytag contacted me and asked if I was having this problem. Told them that I was and they came out and replaced the rubber boot and now I have no mold. I still leave the door open though. So if you continue to have an issue contact Maytag they will replace the boot for free. Make sure that you leave the door cracked and make sure the little hole at the bottom of the boot is not covered with crap. A little bleach every now and then would not hurt either

Unregistered-anonymous

maytag front loader NEPTUNE. Everything bad. Mold. Latch. Circuit Board. Motor. CRAP.

Unregistered-Unregistered

I have a neptune that is about 5 mo old. We started noticing that our towels really stink, especially when they get wet. I thought it might be my dryer because I don’t smell it when I take them out of the washer.

Unregistered-richard.pena1@att.net

there is a bad smell in my washer I would like to get into the action lawsuit

Unregistered-ryander1@comcast.net

It was just brought to my attention by a college who found this site after I complained to him about my Neptune washer which I’ve had for little over a year and now my motor is bad. In addition I can relate to the grime build up in the washer around the rim, inside the fabric softner compartment. Also I’ve gotten a yellowish brown leak of some liquid in the cover door area where it is attached to the machine. This is gross and if I don’t constantly wipe it off, then it drains into the machine on my clothes. Please include me on your list towards the lawsuit and send me more information about it. Thanks

Viewing 39 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.