Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-Alex

The drain hose for my washer goes up about 62 inches before it comes down into an open pipe about 48″ off the ground.

Is that normal? The 3-4 inch pipes run about 2 feet off the floor.

If its not normal, what can I do? How do I tap a 1 inch drain hose into a 4inch pipe?

Unregistered-haclift

The drain from most washers is hooked (180 degree turn) at the end.
      The end inserts into the top of the 48″ open house drain. The hook supports the weight of the drain. Use some duct tape (HVAC duct, DUCK tape, or metal duct tape) to fasten the two drain pipes together and prevent smelly fumes from saturating the air. The connection is not water tight and only prevents splashing and gasses. The 62 inch drain pipe extending up is code required to be vented through the roof of the house to provide an escape for gasses and fumes which – uck – emit from the spetic system. The drain vent must remain open to prevent pressure buildup and water hammer damage to the water drains.
      The drain pipe running parallel to the floor is sloped toward the septic system.

Those septic tank gasses are explosive, unhealthy, germ filled, hazardous, displace room oxygen, can asphix. Keep the window cracked open or run a drain extension vent outside temporarily until the pipe is properly vented through the roof.
      haclift@yahoo.com
      http://www.msnusers.com/clift
      http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/cornstoves
      corn stoves and fireplace inserts

Anonymous
      Participant

The UPC requires standpipes to be between 18″ and 30″ long above the p trap. Usually this is no higher than 42″ above the floor. Since the drain is already 24″ off the floor then 54″ would be preferred but another 8″ is not bad. The WM pump just works harder.
      There should be no fumes. The P trap protects the washingmachine standpipe like the bathtub, lavatory and sink faucets. You should also have a vertical vent pipe that the p trap ties into.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.