• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Ben

I just bought my first house, but the wallpaper in a couple places is Hidious!!! The home was built in 1996. Im not sure if the wallpaper has been there as long will this aid in removal or is 8 yrs a long time for wallpaper. Im going to remove it what is the best way? steam or a scraper or the scorer and chemical?

Thanks Everyone

Henry in MI

Ben, wallpaper removal is usually pretty easy. The one real tip is that, for vinyl overlay papers only, you just pull the vinyl top layer off and then remove the backing in the usual manner.

The best way that I have found is with a scorer (Paper Tiger), hot water and either vinegar or a chemical like DIF in the water. You will want the plastic covered gloves to protect your hands from the hot water and the kind of gloves with the long cuff that you fold up once so the water doesn’t run down your arm any further than the cuff. You will also need a big sponge or 2 and a wide blade putty knife. If you let the hot water do the work, you should be able to take the old, wet paper off gently with the wide knife. The worst thing that you can do is to paint over paper because this seals the paper to the wall and it never looks good, plus it is much more difficult to remove.

Henry in MI

Daniel E. Fall

Big fan of steam, scraper, and paper tiger method. Still a dirty mess, but at least no chemicals.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.