Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Unregistered-Wagamama

I’m trying to remove the wallpaper from my parents bedroom to no avail. The wallpaper resists being pulled off and I have tried everything from vinegar to professional removing chemicals. The worst part is when it finally does come off, it leaves behind this blue “stuff”. underneath the blue stuff is actuall wall (a chalky wall). what is this blue stuff and how can i get it off? also, any advice on how remove the wallpaper?

Thank you!

tomh
      Participant

The blue stuff is a latex sizing. As long as adhesive is washed off, the sizing can be left and painted over with an acrylic (latex) primer or finish coat. The sizing is a strippable surface that protects the wall.

The wall paper may be vinyl and the outer layer needs to be stripped by pulling it off leaving the paper and adhesive to be stripped chemically or by steam. Add a small amount of dish-soap (1/2 tsp) to your vinegar (1 cup/gallon) or DIF solution to improve penetration. A hot solution works faster than cold. Have you tried steam? Wagner sells a power steamer for less than $50. I have used it with good success on vinyl and paper wallcoverings.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.