Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Illumin8or
      Participant

In order to install a new tub in a remodel, I must remove about ¼” from some stud faces to make room for the new tub, and straighten the wall.

My planer works on most of the studs, but in the corners, with two old/dry/hard Doug Fir 2x’s at right angles, it won’t come close. Hand plane unsatisfactory, chisel works but is tedious and result is rough. Can anyone tell me a trick or a tool I can use (other than buying a flush planer) to remove this wood?

Any suggestions will be much appreciated!

carl21l
      Participant

I have found that a small 4.5 inch angle grinder with a #50 grit sanding disk makes fast work of removing wood in a situation like yours. You may have to use the hammer and chisel to finish up some of the work. If you need an angle grinder, you can get a cheap one at places like Harbor Freight for under $20. Big box home centers have them starting at about $35, the better ones come with the sanding pad as part of a kit, or you can purchase seperately. All of the 4.5 inch angle grinders use the same size thread so that sanding and grinding disks are all interchangeable.

JMHO

Carl

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.