• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      James Sullivan

I have a 60 year old house that has plaster finished walls on top of what looks like 3/8″ wide gypsum board. (No wood or metal lathe) The entire finished wall is 7/8″ thick. My Question is if I remove the plaster and board and want to replace with drywall. How do I maintain the 7/8″ Thicknes. so all the windows and door match.?

BobB

I too have a house with this style wall construction. I have come to value the dense, hard, wall surface it provides. Where I have been forced to patch to that thickness, during remodelings, etc..I would do something like rip shims to 1.5 inches out of 3/8 inch plywood, and apply them over the studs, then use 1/2 in. drywall over the shims. But I would suggest not removing any more than you have to, because in my opinion a 7/8 in thick wall surface with a hard plaster finish is far superior to 1/2 in drywall

BobB

Tony P

If I were going to do this I would get some 3/8″ plywood and rip it into 1 1/2″ strips. Nail the strips to each 2×4 to build out the framing, then attach 1/2″ drywall to it.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.