Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      jfh1967
      Participant

I want to insulate walls of my home, by inside. It’s 57 years old. IM gonna have to remove all the plaster. Can you give me tips for doing this job as clean and quick as possible !

Thanks

j-F H

homebild
      Participant

You may want to rethink gutting your walls if you have a house 57 years old.

You likely have lead paint which requires knowledge of hazardous waste to remove it.

Otherwise you can create a health hazard to you and anyone who lives in the building, and to anyone who may purchase it in the future.

That said, you would do better to have some type of blown in insulation installed without removing all the plaster.

motionspace
      Participant

There are also foam insulations that require small holes too. But it’s typically not a do-it-yourself job. If you use the wrong foam you can blow out the walls.

Motionspace Architecture + Design
      http://www.motion-space.com

Bruno1949
      Participant

like rewiring and replumbing everything, then don’t go through the effort and mess! Blown in insulation takes small 2″ holes above and below the fire stop in every outside bay, assuming you have fire stops in the walls. If you don’t have fire stops it’s one hole near the ceiling. Easy to do and easy to fix afterwards. And a LOT less mess!

Yes, a full tear out can give a better job, but it’s generally not worth the time, mess, and money to do. There is no clean and quick way to remove plaster walls. It’s messy, dusty, dirty, and expensive to get rid of the debris. I know. I’ve done it, but it was necessary. I wouldn’t do it again!

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.