Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      dbchris
      Participant

I bought my 28 year old two story home 3 years ago. When I bought the home, I did not notice that most of the drywall seams especailly in the ceillings are cracked along the taped seams. This coupled with poor installation of the tape (the tape shows through the spackle – ?not enough spackle?) Also, many of the interior door frames, and windows have the infamous crack running from the top corner of the door frame to the ceiling. I am currently repairing the foyer, living room, and dinning room by chipping out the tape seam, re-spackling the seam with mesh tape, and screwing up the drywall.

Question (finally), not all of the seams in the each ceiling is cracked – one seam is usually really cracked, and the others not as much. They do exhibit the tape showing through in places though. For good measure, should I try and take out these non-cracked seams, and re-tape/spackle them in anticipation of them cracking soon? OR can I spackle over these ugly seams in hopes to hide them? I’m appreciative of your opinions, because while I’m doing this, I want it done correctly!

Faron79
      Participant

Hi from Fargo, ND!
      Aaaahh the fun of 30 yr-old drywall…PLUS, not knowing if they did a decent job or not!
      First off, it’s so typical for homes this age to be cracking a lot. A LOT of structure-settling happens over the years.
      Now the repairs:
      >>> Don’t fix what ain’t broke! The non-broken seams have lasted this long!
      >>> It seems appropriate to slightly scrape out a seam, re-tape, and re-mud using the 3 coat method.
      a) One coat of joint-compound (NOT spackle…it’s too thin) to embed the tape).
      b)When dry, spread a slightly wider coat, and let dry.
      c)3rd coat of mud, applied with a 8″ to 12″ knife to feather out the seam.
      d) The REAL fun… sanding all the joints!! This is DUST CITY. Seal off roms if you can.
      >>> ALSO, you must prime the walls when all is done. Then 2 coats of top-quality paint. Use dark primers if usint dark color coats.
      Thanks!
      Faron

Giddaymate
      Participant

Hi,

Faron79 is not joking when he uses the term “DUST CITY” There are a couple of things you can do to reduce the dust spreading around your home.

Place old damp sheets on your doors and rolled up damp towel at the bace of the doors, tap in small tacks along the top of the door to hold the sheets in place.

With your furniture, first place plastic covering on then damp sheets. Try to keep the sheets damp and when it comes time to remove the sheets spray them with water from a plastic spray bottle.

Doing this helps prevent most of the dust flying onto the air when you remove the sheets. Take the sheets out side and hose them down ready for the next day.

The other tip is, after you have washed your paint brushes, sock them in a strong solution of fabric softener around 1 part softener 3 parts water for about an hour, squeeze out the excess water and wrap a paper towel around the brushes.

The fabric softener keeps the brushes like new and the paper towels keep the bristles straight. You can keep reusing the fabric softener solution till to you finish the job.

Regards from Noelene

Unregistered-Dodgeman

To minimize the sanding dust, go to Menards, Lowe’s, Home Depot, etc and purchase one of the vacuum sanding kits that runs the vacuum air through a water pail.
      I used a $20 one with excellent results. The dust ends up as a sludge in the bottom of the pail. However, if I were to buy another one, I would get the larger $40 one.
      Good Luck!
      Dodgeman

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.