Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Unregistered-Tony

I have this very nice coffee table in excellent condition, except some visitors at various time, christen my veneer top with drinks, that left ugly marks. I did supply coasters, but for the most part they were ignored. I tried to refinish it by removing the slim finish of the veneer..its dark oak, but its not possible. Is there such a product that one can cover the top as if its the original? I think I saw many years that there was something like that on the market. If so, could one tell me what its called and where it can be bought? Thanks

HenryinMI
      Participant

Newer veneer is usually pretty difficult to restore as the veneer layer is pretty thin. If you just have white water stains, this is damage to the finish and can be restored without doing anything to the wood. If you have black water stains, that is damage to the wood and is very difficult to repair on modern veneer without “burning through” the veneer when sanding. You could, of course, replace the veneer but this typically requires more equipment than most people have. Having more clamps than Norm is a start.

If you are in a situation where you will have people using your furniture that don’t take the care you do, plan for the worst. Solid wood furniture is more restorable. If you have young kids, furniture with a laminate surface will make life a lot easier and can look pretty good. If your decor allows, another alternative is tile topped tables.

Henry in MI

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.