Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Unregistered-drewp2

Hi there

I want to use wood to replace the two front steps to the porch on the front of my house. I would like the finish to be like a stained hardwood…not pressure treated wood or cedar. For example I’d like to use stained oak, but someone told me I can’t use oak b/c it will turn black. My question is, what are my choices for using stained hardwood for front steps, and what’s the right way to treat it?

Many thanks for any advice!

Drew

HenryinMI
      Participant

You can use white oak (not red oak) for this and attach the treads with stainless steel screws. It will not last as long as pressure treated wood and be relatively expensive. You can use an interior stain but you will want to use at least 3 coats of a good exterior, oil based polyurethane or spar varnish on both the top and the bottom of the wood. You will want to be sure that this step is not slippery by tossing a couple of handfulls of sharp/builders sand on top of the last coat while it is still wet or put a couple of strips of the non-slip abrasive-topped tape that is made for this on the step. You will want to re-apply a coat every year or so of the varnish or poly to the lightly sanded step so be sure that you remember what you used and use the same thing again. This is not what I would suggest as the cheapest or easiest approach but it certainly can be done without too much difficulty if you want the effect.

Henry in MI

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.