Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
    • #46100

      My insurance company has indicated that I must fix a portion of my sidewalk in order to continue coverage.

      One 4×4 block of sidwalk is higher than the next 4×4 block by about 3 inches. This was caused by a tree and its roots upheaving the concrete.

      My question is…I can’t afford to have the sidewalk replaced and I want to “build” up on a slope some cement…what kind of cement is good to “adhere” to existing concrete??? This way is would not cause a “trip zone”.

    • #248975

      If the whole block has heaved, it might be possible to flip it over, excavate the root and apply an aggregate base, then flip the block back into place. That block weighs over 400 lbs, so ask for some help from a neighbor if possible.

      If the block cannot be salvaged, break it up and dispose. You can repour the section using about 5 bags of premix cement. You need about 5.3 cubic feet of quickcrete. Even with the purchase of a float, edger and some forming lumber the project should cost under $40 DIY. Do not build a ramp up to the cracked section, the uneven ramp would not make your insurance company happy, and the raised block will be unstable and may continue to move. You need to use an axe or adze to remove the “root” of your problem.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.