Tommy Mac Discussions Forums Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum toilet NEEDS to be flushed twice for water to go out

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-marco

Help!

My toilet if you flush once, the tank empties, but only some water goes out of the bowl and slowly. If there is one square of paper in the bowl, it does not get carried down the drain. Eventually what goes in levels off to where it is supposed to be.

Sometimes, the second flush, all the water goes down the drain the bowl refills.

Both times the tank empties and refills properly it seems.

I dont think its a clogged drain, if there is water and paper in the bowl, and I fill a bucket of water and pour it in, the water and everything else nd down the drain.

What is wrong and what do I do! Help!

Unregistered-lg

the problem is the water is not flowing from the tank into the bowl fast enough to start the siphon right away.

homebild
      Participant

It sounds like you have a problem with the chain tension on the flapper, or that the flapper and drain may be misaligned.

A poorly tensioned chain from the flush handle to the flapper can cause your symptoms.

So, too, can an improperly aligned drain assembly. (The flapper is misaligned and closes too quickly).

So, too, can ‘water-saving-devices’ like adding a ‘brick’ or a ‘jug’ of water installed inside a toilet tank.

The bottom line is that you tank needs to provide more water to the bowl when flushing.

A plumber or even a knowledgable handyman can correct this problem in most cases for under $20 US dollars.

TheLibrarian
      Participant

As advised in the previous reply, try taking steps to fix the flapper and the chain.

If that doesn’t do it, or the whole flush valve needs replacing, this video can take you through the steps of replacing it. It’s not as tough as many think!

http://discussions.tommmymac.us/HowTo_Library/Replacing_a_Toilet_Flush_Valve-Subject_Plumbing_Toilets-S2656.html

doug seibert
      Participant

You don’t have those blue-cleaning products in the tank ????

http://www.toiletology.com/blue-goo.shtml

Also there are holes under the rim that can get clogged and slow the flush water…..pour some CalciumLimeRemover product down the overflow tube in the tank and let sit to dissolve……..

“……measure Once…..cut Twice….
      throw that one away and cut a new one….”

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.