Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      fixerupLV
      Participant

I recently purchased a home built in 1952 with a nice big shower in the master bath. Unfortunately, the opposite walls of the shower have peeling paint, which I assume comes from shower moisture. There are several places in the shower where a previous owner has put silicon caulk over the grout. I was hoping to do a better repair by removing the tile, putting up some water resistant board, and putting the tile back down. I was advised that this would be fairly easy; I could just cut the old grout out with a utility knife and then pry off the tiles with a screwdriver. Once the tiles were removed, I could replace a section of the old drywall with the cement board and retile with the same tiles I had removed. Implementation of this plan is proving much harder than I had thought. I haven’t removed a single tile, but I have managed to chip several of them up. Is there and easy way to remove the tiles without cracking, chipping, or breaking? I was hoping to save some money by reusing the tiles, however if that isn’t possible I’ll stop wasting my time being delicate and just take a sledge to the wall.

Giddaymate
      Participant

Hi
      I have done heaps of tiling and it is just about impossible to save the tiles and what you save will have small chips and you will not have enough to do the job. Hope you find some new tiles on special.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.