Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      boothbay
      Participant

I just removed my laminated flooring in the kitchen after 20 years. i installed vinyl tiles and am now left with an area where the laminated floor of the living room meets those tiles. I know I need a threshold ( i guess some call it by another name ) but here is the problem I face. The living room end is about an inch above the vinyl tile floor of the kitchen. I surfed lowes and home depot to see what they have to offer..but none seem to come close to that drop off size. Any suggestions please? Of course I prefer wood ( oak ? ) to match the lamiated flooring? BTW, How does one know what an asbesto tile look like? I had to remove some old ones and did not even think about it to later. Thanks

thiggy
      Participant

A reasonably skilled woodworker should be able to fashion a tapered oak transion for use between the two rooms. It is not likely that you will find an “off the shelf” item in your big box store. Re: your asbestos concern, you cannot visually identify asbestos bearing tile. A sample would have to be sent to a laboratory for microscopic analysis. Check your yellow pages under “asbestos abatement”.

uselesstriviadiva
      Participant

okay…since you don’t want to buy any new tools (I got it LG!)then go to lowe’s and look for a “reducer” (no they don’t show it online but the stores have them)they’re over by the laminate flooring It’s an interior threshold made for moving from one type of flooring to another. They do come in oak. Now here comes the fun part…they don’t come in that big of a drop I couldn’t even find a half inch drop that I needed so I installed mine on a slight angle (throwed away the metal part that it’s supposed to snap onto btw) and just nailed it down used a nail set to sink them (technically I used a bigger nail to sink the finishing nails, cause I didn’t want to buy anything else either) Since you have such a drastic drop you may need to purchase a strip of screen molding to put under it on the ‘deep’ side but you can simply stain it to match and as my Dad says only a fool or a perfectionist would notice. Just cut it to the length you need (width of doorway) and lay it down and see what works best I would think an angle would be better just for the tripping factor…..

itsreallyconcrete
      Participant

will solve your problem,,, we use ’em for display work – they’re avail at apron stores.

we buy tools based on anticipated annual rental costs approaching 50% of tool investment,,, 1 excellent source to lower costs is ebay from which we’re purchased 80% of our equipment,,, usually no sales tax is involved nor do we spend $ on gas/vehicle/labor.

Yes Its Concrete
      licensed eliteCrete artisans
      stain-emboss-sculpt-engrave-score
      including all types concrete repair
      historic masonary repair & restoration
      * member-Intl. Conc. Repr. Inst. ( http://www.icri.org )

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.