• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      JD(OH)

Hey guys, thanks for all of your great advice. I’m just starting off and I’m fascinated with building houses and learning how to build houses. My 2 problems are I have a 40 hour a week job and really cannot afford to pay for the classes at a vocational school. I have volunteered for Habitat for Humanities and did learn a lot, but sometimes its full of people just like me, a bunch of beginners. I bought a house that I’m trying to rehab, so I could learn, but its been a struggle since my funds are low. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

dp

get a new job with a construction contractor?

or else do a lot of reading about home construction and internet research in your spare time

librarys and internet are basically free information

dp

Ron J.

With the way they’re building homes today, you’re not going to start building by going to a vocational class. Of all the things you learned at the Hab house, mutiply that by a hundred fold. Electrical,plumbing,concrete,phones,network, code books, and most important, structual enginering. I appreciate your desires,but, you don’t learn this in 2-4 years,even working full time at it. Keep going, but, be relistic. Ron J.

Johnny

Get a partner who is a young guy like you with lots of building experience. You can be the numbers, sales, and design guy, he can run the crew and the building process, and yall can cros train each other. BTW, if funds are low, save your money before you go into business. You will need resources to startup.

Daniel E. Fall

Buy a book called Modern Carpentry. Best nite time put you to sleep and learn a lot at the same time book out there.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.