Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      rmalenk
      Participant

Recently, I had an embarrassing but serious mishap. I bought a solid cherry table and while attempting to carry it up to the house, the table started tilting backwards, I went with it and landed on it. As a result, there is now a very serious crack in the table top and many nasty scratches caused by the gravel upon which the table fell. I am thinking of repairing the crack (actually a real split) with clamps, Gorilla glue and metal braces underneath. Make sense?

Rmalenk

tomh
      Participant

You can repair the split, but I would use a good quality wood glue rather than gorilla glue. My experience with the Gorilla stuff is that, while it has a tenacious bond, it foams on application and tends to not form the clean “invisible” line of a good carpenter glue. Its wood, and its a forgiving material.

The finish is going to need to be re-applied, and chances are you will need to remove the old finish, sand to level, and stress the table-top to match the stress of your fall. In other words, you may need to hit it with some chain or other antiquing method to match the gravel damage.

Sorry this happened to you, and hope you are well.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.