Tommy Mac Discussions Forums Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum T1-11 Siding for underside roof of patio cover

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-dastermon

My builder wants to “upgrade”to wood T1-11, from plywood sheathing, on the underside of my new, to be constructed, flat and solid patio roof. The size of the finished roof is 12’x 27′ wide, with two posts on the wide side. (floor are made of pavers, 27’x 16′)
      What should I ask for in any of this? Does thickness of the T1-11 matter? What about the posts size and thickness? Should I ask for skylights to be added?
      Is there anything I’m missing in all of this?

Unregistered-lg

I didn’t know it came in different thicknesses.
      learn something new every day.

tomh
      Participant

T-111 is a finish siding that usually has a Fir finished face and comes in different grades and patterns. It looks a lot better in a finish application than sheathing plywood, but can serve the same function. T-111 is typically used in non-structural applications in a 5/16″ thickness, but may be 5/8″ when used for shear walls.

T-111 is often used on the eaves of buildings with the finished face down, where the rafters are not enclosed on overhangs. It is rare to see the entire roof sheathed in T-111 because its more expensive. T-111 can also be used as finished ceilings on porches, enclosed patios or soffits. Skylights are an optional item, you may want to introduce more natural light. Also consider using reinforced light-boxes that can eventually accommodate ceiling fans if desired in place of ceiling light fixtures.

What is the over-all style and architecture of the building? There are lots of possible treatments for the ceiling, posts, rails, etc.

Unregistered-motionspace

I have found that builders typically install 4×4 posts which rarely look large enough. You might consider installing 6×6 posts instead or wrap the 4×4’s with trim to make them look larger. Of course, if your engineer specified something specific, use that.

Motionspace
      http://www.motion-space.com
      Learn about residential projects:
      http://www.motion-space.com/seattle-residential-architects.htm

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.