Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-holzhauj

Help… I have a sump pump that goes off 20+ times a day and even more after rainfall for two to three days. I also have 3 major cracks in my basement floor. They are on the corners to the wall near the window wells ranging from 1/6 and bigger and at least 2-4 ft long only in the middle slab of three. Can the two be related? The house is only 8 months old and still under warranty. I am going to request they insert an exterior gravitational drainage system that drains directly to the sewer system instead of the sump pump for fear of failure. The walls are coated with plastic and insulation so I cannot visually see if there is any structural damage to them.

Bruno1949
      Participant

Have you actually looked into the sump pit? If the water is coming in that fast then you have some serious foundation problems and some serious ground water problems! If you have three major cracks that you know about you might have more you don’t know about.

In a house only eight months old you shouldn’t have ANY cracks! Is your house on old landfill or sand? I can’t believe it has settled that fast and that badly!

I would suggest getting an inspection by someone other than your warranty people first to find out what’s going on. It will probably cost you some money, but not nearly as much as having your basement flood.

As for the builder’s warranty they generally have more holes than a bowl of Cheerios. Hopefully your warranty is worth the paper it’s written on.

The ground around the house might not be sloped properly, but your main issue is still the cracking that shouldn’t be happening already.

homebild
      Participant

If your sump and pump activate too often, it usually means the sump pit/sump basin is too small.

Installing a larger pit/basin will cut down on the number of times the pump must activate to evacuate the collected water.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.