Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      troutbum21
      Participant

Hi All.

I’m having a blast updating our kitchen and I have a question regarding stripping cabinets so I can paint them. The finish on the cabinets is a clear lacquer that is so old and brittle that it will actually pull off with masking tape. The stain is an orangish color that is similar to this picture
      http://www.azaleacrest.com/images/410_e_Knotty_Pine_Den,_built_in_cabinets,_and_fireplace_2.JPG
      Any suggestions on which stripper to use and how to use it would be greatly appreciated. Keep your minds out of the gutter about how to use the stripper! 🙂

Thanks for the replies!!!!

tomh
      Participant

I’ll keep it clean. The picture of paneling you included would have been sealed with either shellac, lacquer or varnish. Each of those finishes is best removed with a different solvent. So, you may need a little experimenting to see just what you have and what will work best.

We all know how effective alcohol can be at stripping 🙂 Shellac is most easily dissolved using alcohol. Get a quart or so from your home improvement store and see if denatureed alcohol strips the finish.

Lacquer is stripped with lacquer thinner or acetone. If this is what you use, be sure to have plenty of ventilation. Remove it using steel wool dipped in solvent.

Varnish and stain removing strippers are usually blends of xylene and methylene chloride. These are applied to dissolve the finish and removed with a scraper and/or steel wool.

Some citrus strippers may also work

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.