Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      bobsbuddy
      Participant

I (tried to) help my son-in-law with a sticky patio door last weekend. We retracted the trolley wheels on the bottom, removed the top restraining strip, removed the door, cleaned and lubricated moving parts. When we put it back, we found it did not really help much because the frame had a bit of sag in the top and it was rubbing on the top of the door. After trying various adjustments to the wheels, we found it did not really operate any easier than before (and perhaps even worse). We set the wheels to full retraction but it still rubbed at the top. I’d estimate there was about 1/8″ difference between the center and the edge. There did not appear to be any play in the frame that we could move it out of the way without doing more damage.

The only thing I could think of was to shave a bit off the top of the door, but I didn’t have the right tools with me. I am also not sure what this would do (the door is aluminum framed and it would take off the white finish).

Any clever suggestions?

FHIWindows1
      Participant

Is there any evidence on the inside or outside trim to show that something settled? You might want to try to install a few 3″ screws through the top frame in order to make it straight. Go slow with the screws, you might have to remove the top trim.

http://www.replacementwindowpros.com

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.