Tommy Mac Discussions Forums Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum So how do you store your snowblower in winter

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      albertshaw
      Participant

Got a snowblower.

I take it out of the shed and run it on high speed for 12 minutes every week to keep it in good shape for the winter.

I suppose this is what I have to do. Take it out and run the engine every once in a while. Any insights?

Unregistered-Dodgeman

I personally own an Ariens 6hp 2 stage snowblower. It is approximately 35 years old and I inherited it from my Uncle 25 years ago.
      I always use Mobil 1 engine oil (5w-30) for ease of starting. It is a manual pull-start.
      I NEVER drain the gas out in the spring. I leave the tank approximately 1/2 full and fill it up with fresh gas in the fall. I use unleaded gas without alcohol.
      I NEVER run it between snowfalls “to keep it in good shape” It may set for 3-4 weeks between each use.
      It usually starts in the 1st to 3rd pull. Last fall, after being in storage for 9 months with the gas tank 1/2 full, it started on the first pull. On occasion, if I accidently flood it, I will remove the spark plug and give a very small shot of starting fluid into the cylinder. It then starts on the next pull.
      So, in summary, unless your operators manual calls for running it on occasion, I don’t think it is necessary.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.