Tommy Mac Discussions Forums Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum slow running water in septic – cannot figure out

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-wbmueller

Hello,

We built our house a year ago and this spring I noticed that I could hear running water in our septic. We have a mound system. I had the septic people out and they said that it was a slow leak from the house. I had the toilets and water softener checked and they said it was the septic. Any suggestions on how to figure out where the water is coming from? Each contractor keeps blaming the other. It’s driving me crazy!

Unregistered-t.b.

Next time you leave for the weekend shut off the main water supply. When you get back check again.

Jasper
      Participant

* Turn off all appliances that use water
      * Make sure no one flushes the toilets
      * Make sure no faucets are turned on.
      * NOW, check your water meter. There should be no flow. The meter should not be turning.
      * If you do get an indication that there is water flow then turn off water using the cutoff valves at each toilet, Sink, Washing machine, etc…
      * At some point water flow should stop.
      * Note, a septic tank does not create its own water flow. Water is comming from the house.
      * Toilet tank flappers are famous for leaking water.
      * Hot water heaters have a relief valve that prevents water from being over heated and exploding. It could be leaking. It typically empties into the sewage pipes…
      * Good luck… Adios… Jasper…

Jasper Castillo

Unregistered-HarryC

It is quite possibly groundwater.

A mound system leaching field is usually used because ths soil is not suitable for a plain jane leaching field. The soil may be unsuitable because of high groundwater. This may be the case with your soils.

Because the mound is built above ground and the septic tank is built below ground, the sewage must be pumped from the tank up to the mound. Sewage liquid drains into a pump chamber (dosing chamber). A high level sensor in this chamber turns on a pump. When the chamber drains down the pump shuts off.

If you have high groundwater, your septic tank and/or dosing chamber is probably deep enough to be in groundwater. If groundwater seeps into the chamber it will fill then turn on the pump.

The town building dept or sanitarian should have records of your system design and installation. Those records would include groundwater data. Contact them to find out what the groundwater level near your system is. If there is a problem with your system they should be able to provide some guidance.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.