Tommy Mac Discussions Forums Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum slide-in range not flush with granite countertops

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-Lake Man

Recently had new granite countertops in stalled. When the crew came to template, we already had our new applicances, including a slide-in range. The crew was aware of this, as well as the fact that a new tile floor was going in after they were done.

When the tile floor was completed, the tile guy put the range back into its space, to find the range, with the legs fully screwed down, was 1/2″ above the granite surface.

The granite installer’s remedy is to have leg holes drilled into the tile to have the range go lower. We won’t have it. Now they are saying it’s our fault, because we didn’t have a contractor on site to put an underlayment in. We didn’t have a need for a contractor, only had counter, backsplash, and tile floor installed. The installer says he had no responsibility to take the range into account, but his crew measured it and asked about the flooring when they templated. He says he only fabricates and installs granite.

Who’s responsibility was it to make sure this range height was allowed for with the countertop installation? Mine, his?

Thanks for your help,

Lake Man

Unregistered-zzz111

you should have made {sure} take the tile out from under the range you are never going to see it.

itsreallyconcrete
      Participant

going thru this now,,, the new hardwood floor’ll be done wall-to-wall before appliances & cabinets,,, granite c-tops to follow,,, not hiring a contractor sez its ALL on me,,,if you wanna be a contractor, plan ahead & coordinate,,, visualize unforseen problems.

don’t see how you can blame a c-top guy as he primarily works in only 2 dimensions,,, sounds to me as if he came up w/a GREAT solution,,, sell it to your wife!

ps – crews do not speak for a company – ONLY company officers/mgt personnel do,,, sorry, lake.

Bruno1949
      Participant

If the stove, set as low as it goes, is STILL above the counter tops then your counter tops are way below normal height! It would be easier to raise all the counters 1/2 of an inch than it would be to monkey around with the floor under the stove. You don’t want to drop the stove into a shallow pit. It makes moving it impossible.

Either someone didn’t plan the cabinet height properly, or the tops are too thin. I doubt that the counter tops are wrong.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.