Tommy Mac Discussions Forums Fix-it Forum: Home Improvement & Do It Yourself Repair Forum Siegler Model 885 – UB – 2 – Questions on use?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-garypely

We just purchased a home. It is a 3 bedroom downstairs with 1 bedroom upstairs apartment. The duplex has a wall furnace upstairs. In the 3 bedroom downstairs there is a gas space heater.

The heater is a Siegler Model 885 – UB – 2. The operating instructions see pretty straight forward. I have a question on the thermostate or lack there of.

It has a metal pole coming up (I assume that is the thermostate). I assume the heater dial turns to the appropriate heating number desired.

The operating instructions plate on the left side of the heater talks about hooking up a wall thermostate. How can this be done? Or can it? I am not sure of the age of the heater but the gas company guy thought it was about 50 years old. (It looks like it is about 2 years old but I know that it is older).

Our part of the duplex is about 1200 sq feet. I assume that it is insulated well. It is about 80 degree outside and we are comfortable with just one ceiling fan and windows open.

The heater has a btu of 35K. Is this sufficient heater for now? The stove is in excellent condition. Barely any marks on it. I was also wondering do I need to put a guard around it (have little ones) so that fingers do not get burnt?

Turned the heater to summer and it blows very cool air. Seems to be in excellent shape. Just not sure if I should change it out now before the cold season or just use it?

thiggy
      Participant

Since you had the gas company man out to look at it, what did he say? His opinion should be much more valid than unknown responders on an internet forum who have never seen your heater.

Unregistered-Kyle

I have a Siegler heater similar to yours. It has 2 small wires coming out of the control box, that’s what you connect the thermostat to. Any cheap thermostat will work.

Sieglers are great heaters! I love mine.

-Kyle (Pittsburgh, PA)

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.