Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-eagletracker1

I recently hired some painters to sand, clean and stain my deck with Cabot’s semi-solid deck stain. It came out horrible with alot of flashing and lap marks. It is in big blotches too so it doesn’t blend at all. The directions specifically say to apply evenly and only with a brush. The painters admit to using a roller. This is obvious, as where they cut around the edge with a brush it looks entirely different. The contractors claim it was not because of the roller and it was….1st they blamed the product and 2nd they said the wood must be more porous in some areas. Everywhere I look on the internet it says if deck stain is overapplied it will result in the flashing (shiny areas) and to wipe off the excess before it drys. Assuming this is accurate, wouldn’t wiping the excess have solved the problem even if the patches of excess were caused be differences in the woods porosity? It seems to me that this could have been prevented. This is a $2000 deck job and the contractors are insisting they fulfilled the contract and I should pay them even though it doesn’t look right. (Even the company owner admitted she didn’t like it either). But…..they are saying after all…..I chose the product so its not their fault if I don’t like the way it came out. Hey, its not like I’m saying I don’t like the color…..it clearly does not look like a professional job which I expect when I pay $2000!!! So what does everyone think I should do with regard to paying these people? Is the only solution to fixing the deck at this point to sand down and start over? (Cabot suggested their problem solver deck cleaner but that did not help). I’m at a loss!!! 🙁

itsreallyconcrete
      Participant

1 approach – altho they may place a mechanic’s lien on your property in which case you’d have to sue them,,, fortunately, its small claims court – the painters’re pro & you’re the ignorant hopeless helpless damaged homeowner who hired pro help to apply a decent product,,, just look forlorn in front of the judge & plead your case.

another’s look to arbitration but, personally, i’d rather sue the *******s,,, you’ll, of course, subpoena everyone on the crew & the owner & the guy who sold you the stain & the owner/manager of the store.

as a last resort, there’s always angie’s/craig’s list.

itsreallyconcrete.com
      decorative conc artisan
      conc repairs

bobsbuddy
      Participant

Just in case, take lots of good photos.

Bruno1949
      Participant

Keep a can of the stain with the directions for application on it. Get the names of anyone involved. Be prepared to fight them, up to and including small claims court.

First of all, you entered into a contract with ‘professionals’ to properly prepare and stain your deck. They failed to do their work in a professional manner or to an acceptable level of workmanship.

Cabot’s is hardly a ‘no-name’ brand or hard to use properly so they can quit blaming the product.

The fact is that they applied the stain in direct violation of the clearly stated directions on the can. They didn’t want to spend hours on their knees with a brush so they used a roller and handle to speed up the process. And they screwed up the whole job.

Yes, if they had wiped down the overly thick areas it might have help blend everything together but they failed to do that too. The fact is that they applied the product incorrectly and against the product’s directions and it looks terrible.

Until the job meets your satisfaction the contract has not been fulfilled and you don’t owe them a thing. They have failed to do the job properly due entirely to their mistakes and their choices, not due to your choice of product, the condition of the wood deck, or anything else.

The deck has to be sanded or chemically stripped completely and the stain redone PROPERLY. This would be at the contractor’s cost, not yours. At the moment the contractor is liable for all expenses to return your deck to the condition it was in BEFORE they began work. And I wouldn’t let them near it again after that!

They haven’t got a legal leg to stand on. Take them to court if that’s what they want to do.

From the sounds of it the company will refuse to pay for stripping and cleaning the deck AND refuse to refinish it properly for the original price. Then it’s your turn to sue them for damages, expenses, and repairs to have the job done properly.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.