Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      scgrgg
      Participant

I have an exterior stucco siding. The other day it rained quite a bit and we got water in our house. I noticed at the bottom of our stucco wall which sits about 6-8 inches off the foundation that there was a metal “flashing” with holes drilled in and there were also gaps between it and the stuco wall. I sealed it with that foam expanding stuff AND black “tar” sealant in an effort to keep water from getting in the house.

Now I realize I need to take some measures to keep water away but we built a flower bed and now the ground level is significanly closer to the wall than previously. I am not sure I can ever completely keep water from getting to the level of the stuco wall. Additionally, ants were coming in from these gaps in the wall and getting into the house.

?Is it bad that I covered these holes? What damage will that cause? is that worse than getting water in the house?

Help

tomh
      Participant

You really need to address the drainage issue in your garden in a way that water is directed away from the house. The drain holes are there to allow water to escape rather than being retained in the siding or migrating into the interior of the wall. The consequences of plugging the weep screed can lead to all kinds of health, safety, and durability problems. The weep screed is designed to let water out to prevent damage. If water is getting in, fix the drainage.

We are led to assume water intrusion in your home results from ponded water from the garden backing up against the house. It is more likely your water problem comes from above, and you just made it worse You need to trace teh problem to its source…infiltration through the stucco, a leaking gutter, roof, siding,or window flashing. By sealing the drain designed at the base of the siding where it meets the foundation, you could force water to accumulate behind the stucco, and flow into the house, or cause hidden deterioration, rot or mold. Fix the drainage

Did I mention fix the drainage?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.