Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Illyra
      Participant

I am planning on replacing my roof this summer. It’s standard shingle composite, it already has three layers, and is starting to get dips and a few shingles are curling up on the edges. It will need to be stripped down and replaced completely.

I live in NW OR, and we’ve had a couple of weeks of high winds and pouring rains. The crawl space to the attic is out in my attached garage, and I noticed old water marks under the crawl space door which concern me (I have no idea how old the marks are – the house is 35 years old). I crawled up there and took a peek inside with a flashlight. It doesn’t smell damp, it looks dry, there’s no visible mold, although I did notice condensation on the roof beams. I don’t know if that’s normal with the soaking rain we’ve been having. I didn’t crawl all the way back, though, because I don’t have a good ladder and I’m scared of spiders. 😀

Here is my question. Would it be worth having a contractor come out to take a look up there to make sure my old roof will last through the next few months of rain, or do you think I’m worrying about nothing?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks,

Cindi Mc.

theeagle
      Participant

the condensation could be from inadequate ventilation from the bottom soffit vents to the top ridge or gale end vent…or the old shingles are allowing water to migrate down through them and cause what looks like condensation.

Have a trustfull contractor come out if you see actual water dripping down from leaking(if you have proper venting as above).
      and then tear off all three layers of roof down to the roof boards….check for rotten or loose boards…then cover whole roof with roofing felt(30 pound for the first 3 feet up the roof and 15 pound for the rest of the roof) to give you a second layer of water protection..and then a decent 25 year 3 tab(or laminated shingle look) shingle…

by the way putting shingles on in the winter does not allow the tar/glue tabs on the shingles to be activated with the warm sun to hold down the shingle to the lower next shingle…this can cause some shingles to be bent up or torn loose in a severe wind…

quote:the house is 35 years old).unquote:
      you must have bad ventilation as you should just be part way through a second life of roof..not four….also is it also better to fully strip a roof before spending money to reroof it….weight and the transfering of the warpage of the old shingles to the new shingles..

Remember the past or all is lost. http://www.geocities.com/theeagles_page/

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.