Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      thebatpeople
      Participant

I found a set of double doors in my carriage house that I would like to rehang. The problem is that they are covered in a thick layer of dust and dirt. What should I use to properly clean and strip them? The doors are possibly late 1800’s.

Jasper
      Participant

Wipe them down, apply the stripping then proceed with caution. Water will enter the wood and cause more harm.
      Adios… Jasper

Jasper Castillo

HenryinMI
      Participant

A quick wipe-down or even a hosing will not hurt wood that is in good condition. It’s the long term effects of molds, mildews and, possibly, compression set that can cause problems. One other consideration is that the doors may have paint on them that contains lead. Removing this so you don’t have rubbing or scraping of the lead based paint into the area is important. The best way to accomplish this, either for paint or for a clear film finish (like varnish) removal is with a good stripper. I would suggest that Peel Away 1 would be a good choice for you to consider. Check this out at their web site http://www.peelaway.com or at a Sherwin-Williams store or other stocking location.

Henry in MI

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.