• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      todd cooper

Hi, I was replacing outlets to make them all white and when I got to the outlet that the wall switch controls, I took off the wires and replaced them the same way….so I thought. I realized I had to break off the tab so I looked at the old one and the tab was broken on the brass side(red wire on top, black wire on bottom.) so I did the same and I had constant power. the switch did nothing. so I looked on the box the outlets came in and it said to break the tab on the silver side(two white wires.) I had constant power still, switch did nothing. three outlets later I give up… PLEASE someone HELP!!!!

I see that one of the white wires is an incoming and one is an out going( to the next outlet)how do I wire this thing and what side do I break the tab on. the whole system worked fine before I started , now I can’t even get the original outlet to work with the switch. I have a 1978 house and the wires are solid big wires if that matters. thanks hope this makes sense and you can help me. thanks so much Todd

dp

sounds like the switch is bad?

you got a continuity tester? if so check the switch, sounds like its stuck in a closed circut

you could also use a self powered test light to test or just replace switch in question

if your wiresing exactly the same as when you pulled the old one out and breaking the same tabs, it has to work, unless the switch is bad?

thats not a 3 pole switch is it? in other words is outlet controlled from more than one location?

dp

lg

gotta be the switch.did you swap that also?

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.