Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      needtofixit
      Participant

My nine year old ran my sink over upstairs and as a result I have a medium size light brown stain on my ceiling downstairs. Once it dries How do I repair it.Or do I need to tackle it while it is still wet?

doug seibert
      Participant

Let it dry……..

Most one time small water stains will dry without too much damage to the wallboard/plaster…..

to cover the stained ceiling …..try spot priming using a spray can of Kilz Original…….if the ceiling was painted white the spray will often match……You can re-paint the ceiling if necessary……If it’s a popcorn finish be careful on the amount of “fussing” you do to the area…..it’s all too easy to remove the finish causing a larger mess……

The “original” formula provides a tough barrier preventing the stain from bleeding thru….It’s an oil formula that requires plenty of ventilation when using……

“…measure once…..cut twice….throw that one away and cut a new one….”

bzavitz
      Participant

I’ll second Doug’s comments, with one small correction. Kilz (and a similar product made by Zinsser) are alcohol based, not oil based. Not only do they smell badly (for a brief while), if you apply them with a brish, you can’t clean the brush with mineral spirits. Easiest thing is buy a cheap brush and throw it away.

Brian Zavitz
      http://www.HowToFindAGoodContractor.com

Faron79
      Participant

Yep…as usual you guys are right!
      After a LONG dry time, use one of those primers.
      >>> If your ceiling is the “popcorn” texture, I’d spot-prime the stain area, then prime the whole thing (so there’s 2 coats of primer on the stain).
      >>> Then…2 coats of ceiling-white (or whatever you’ve used up there). It’s the only way to have everything look totally perfect.
      Thanks!
      Faron

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.