• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Lei

I made an outdoor kitchen. Not thinking on my first time grouting quarry tile, I did not account for the heat of the sun. Even though I sprayed sealer on the tile, the grout almost instantly obsorbed into the tile and I cannot get it out. Is there some paint I can use to cover the camel colored tile or get it off? I’ve tried a belt sander and it only smoothed it out.

BobF

Quarry tile is a hard tile and would not normally absorb grout; it should be on the surface. It is so thick that you can sand it? Sanding the tile itself will ruin the surface, so that is not the thing to do.

Try chipping it off with a razor scraper, or if it is really thick, use a masonry chisel and hammer, cautiously. Once you get it down to just a thin layer or haze, use an acid to etch it off. Normally a tile pro would use phosphoric acid or sulfamic acid; you can get these in the tile dept of a home center. If they don’t work then use muratic acid; be very careful with that since it is potent and dangerous. Any acid will etch the grout itself, of course.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.