Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-techster122

My sister-in-law is a single parent who wants to complete several remodeling projects in her home that were left unfinished after a divorce several years ago. The list of projects includes creating separate living spaces for 2 of her 3 adult children that still live with her. Since she is obviously female and wants to avoid getting taken advantage of, I have agreed to support the effort she is about to undertake. She feels overwhelmed at the prospect of meeting with contractors to discuss these projects so I will be helping her select and meet with the contractors for both support and consulting advice (I am a home improvement enthusiast, watch home improvement shows and videos, and have performed many home repairs). I am suggesting that my sister-in-law first hire a professional certified home inspector to provide her with a list of the items that need to be addressed. Does anyone have advice on other initial steps to take?

Anonymous
      Participant

Home inspectors cover many areas and usually don’t have depth in any one area. They identify deficiences in current systems not how to install new systems. Their certifications standards vary greatly from organization to organization and are not like a certified plumber or electrician.
      Get bids from different remodeling contractors. It’s a great learning experience and there may be some work appropriate for them to do.

tomh
      Participant

I can think of a great management option for a large project. If you consult with a certified interior designer you will get both a professional plan and guideance in selecting and working with contractors. I have been surprised at the very reasonable fees that professional designers charge. Keep in mind, this is not an interior decorator, but a qualified design professional. They do not have the credentials of an architect, but it is the perfect person to assist on difficult renovation and remodeling projects with relatively few structural issues.

You get a professional design, assistance and discounts on contractor services and materials, and you can have project management. Its a great buy. Interview a couple of designers and believe me, you will save much more than their fees.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.