Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-Sta2ned

Hello

I need advise on reinforcing our older deck for a new large hot tub that will weigh about 4,000 lbs full. Current deck is attached to the house with only 2×8 rafters spaced 16″ on center. There is very little clearance to access under the deck also. If I simply brace across the 2×8 rafters with 4×4 beams over some kind of small concrete footing in the center of the deck will that be good enough? There is no more than maybe 12″ between bottom of deck and and the ground. Old hot tub was about half this size but was supported fine as is.

thanks!

homebild
      Participant

” If I simply brace across the 2×8 rafters with 4×4 beams over some kind of small concrete footing in the center of the deck will that be good enough?”

NO.

In most locations You will need permits for the new hot tub and and engineer to do the design for the deck modifications in order to get the permits.

This is not a fly-by-the-seat-of-your pants installation.

Read about deck collapses with hot tubs or pools on them here:

http://www.deckfailure.com/Failures.html

Bruno1949
      Participant

If not, then the total weight could be 5 or 6,000 pounds! While you are not on the second floor, even a 12 inch drop as the frame collapses could be highly dangerous and destructive. You are talking about the weight of a full sized pickup truck on your deck.

While it might or might not be required by code, getting an engineering evaluation is by far the safest and best idea. That is an awful lot of weight and your joists are not capable of taking it as is. Concrete pads that just sit on the ground will be pushed into the soil until the entire deck collapses. At that point, depending on how the deck is attached to the house, you could actually damage your house too. It’s not worth the chance of major failure. Have an engineer design the proper foundation for the hot tub. It’s cheaper than paying all the lawsuits and repairs to the house.

itsreallyconcrete
      Participant

weight ( loads ),,, notwithstanding this tub’s 2x as large, it also seats more & the occupants movement will ‘ load ‘ the tub laterally/vertically more than if they sat still,,, IF you undersupport the tub intentionally & there’s a problem, i’d hate to think you’re empty-handed when your ins co sez ‘ show me the stamped prints ‘ & the contractor’s license,,, this isn’t anything i’d bet our home on – then again, its yours !

http://www.itsreallyconcrete.com
      decorative concrete artisan
      concrete repairs

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.