Viewing 23 reply threads
  • Author
      Erin Wilson

I have applied two coats of interior flat paint with a quality roller in Barn Red and it looks terrible. What can I do to salvage this project short of putting up wallpaper?

Jack

What is the problem? Is the color not right or does the paint job look bad? You can always sand and apply another coat with a brush

BobF

Its the color more than the brand.
      Darker paints need many coats to look good. The reason is that there is more pigment in a darker paint. It is difficult to get an even distribution of the pigment. Light colors don’t have as much pigment, so one or two coats looks good.
      My neighbor painted his family room with a red Porter paint. Porter is a quality, respected name. It took him 5 coats – yes, FIVE coats.

RAF

Just a thought since we just used RF paint. Are you sure that the RF paint you used was meant to be a standalone job. We just did a FAUX finish with RF paint and the initial base coat looked horrible (they say it will). It is then covered with a glaze. Again just a thougth.

sheila bassett

I agree with BobF
      I just painted my dining room a dark wine colour. I needed five coats before it looked like an even coat. But now it looks great.

judy

If you still think you’ll like the color, just keep on coating until it looks good. I wouldn’t be surprised if it takes 3 or 4 coats. If you don’t like the color that’s a whole different story. Good luck.

Angie

My husband and I have used the Ralph Lauren paint in several rooms in our home (different colors, techniques, etc.) The quality is excellent. We wouldn’t use anything else.

I highly recommend it!

Irene K

I’m a professional decorative painter and am even a “Ralph Lauren Professional
      Applicator.” The RL paints are one of the best on the market, the company
      says they have a 12-15 year life. Ergo, it is worth a bit of effort. On my
      site, http://www.enlivened.com, I have a cost comparison showing why the more expensive
      paints are a better buy, should you be interested.

Frankly, no brand of red paint will look good with just 2 coats. For any, the tinted primer
      is a MUST; it will save you at least 2 coats of the paint itself. Because of the amount
      of colorant needed for such dark colors, the paints become somewhat “translucent,” which
      is why coverage gets tough. As long as you used a tinted primer, the “sheerness” shows
      through to the same color, so you get a better look.

When I do jobs using any red paint (although I mostly use Ralph), I price for a tinted primer and
      two-and-a-half coats of paint. Normally, I’m successful in 2, sometimes I do need
      that third coat. Yeah, I admit I’m more experienced than most homeowners, but IF one has used the
      tinted primer, doesn’t skimp on application – no overspreading! – and is willing to go for three
      coats, you’ll have a beautiful finish that will last over a decade. Yes, it IS worth the effort!

Beth Beaudry

I have never seen such a thing in my life. We bought RL Dressafe Red Paint for our bathroom applied two coats, waiting proper drieing times between coats. It didn’t cover. Then we took a shower and this oily substance started to bleed down my walls. We went and bought dirtex liquid cleaner and washed the walls thoughly and bought Benjermin Moore and repainted the walls and still the walls are bleeding—WHY? What is in your paint that would create this problem? MY WALLS ARE BLEEDING AND DRIPPING WITH A RED OILY SUBSTANCE, how can I fix this???? This is your paint-2 coats of your paint covered horably and looked terrible and this red drips that are pouring down my walls is horable. Washing and repainting with another paint did nothing. HELP! I have heard so many good things about your products and I am very discouraged. What is this oily substance bleeding through my walls it is gross. Your paint ruined my walls!

Beth Beaudry

I have never seen such a thing in my life. We bought RL Dressage Red Paint for our bathroom applied two coats, waiting proper drieing times between coats. It didn’t cover. Then we took a shower and this oily substance started to bleed down my walls. We went and bought dirtex liquid cleaner and washed the walls thoughly and bought Benjermin Moore and repainted the walls and still the walls are bleeding—WHY? What is in your paint that would create this problem? MY WALLS ARE BLEEDING AND DRIPPING WITH A RED OILY SUBSTANCE, how can I fix this???? This is your paint-2 coats of your paint covered horably and looked terrible and this red drips that are pouring down my walls is horable. Washing and repainting with another paint did nothing. HELP! I have heard so many good things about your products and I am very discouraged. What is this oily substance bleeding through my walls it is gross. Your paint ruined my walls!

janice g

We applied the ralph lauren suede paint as directed. We bought the 4″ and 9″ rollers and a good 3″ brush and completed the steps as directed. The finished project does not look like suede, but a bad paint job. It looks like a good rolling process would correct the shading. We do not feel like we are looking at a wall of suede, but a badly painted wall. Is this a normal reaction?

Roz M

I’m having my bedroom painted with “bison” suede paint by a professional. I hope it turns out the way I think it should. Has anyone any positive comments?

Kelly

We painted our living room with Ralph Lauren river rock paint, we’ve never had a bigger disaster on our hands. We followed the directions to a T and still we have lines that show where the roller has come down and we have already done 4 coats!!!! This paint is $35.00 a gallon and we have had to buy 5 gallons of this paint! Has anyone else used this paint and have advise on how to fix this? The paint itself is really cool it feels kind of like sand paper but it is sooo difficult to work with. Please Help@@@

John in San Francisco

I was considering Ralph Lauren paint products but, one after another I have found VERY negative comments from highly disappointed concumers who have followed the manufacturer’s directions, spent amazing sums of money for what is probably the most expensive paint in the world, only to remain frustrated, broke, and with a paint job that looks totally botched. With the plethora of negative comments and costly consumer disasters one can only wonder why consumers would venture such a risk in both money and time. How has the manufacturer responded to these complaints? Do they guarantee the results they promise? Do they guarantee satisfaction?

propianter

suede paint is the best roll it one coat next coat roll and brush just play with it x and play

propianter

suede paint is the best roll it one coat next coat roll and brush just play with it x and play

Sherrry Hoffner

Over the years I have painted with all types of paints on a various types of surfaces. In all that time, I have never had as poor results as I experienced using Ralph Laren River Rock Paint in my daughter’s new house. Afte two coats of paint on a well primed walls, the room looks terrible!

Sherrry Hoffner

Over the years I have painted with all types of paints on a various types of surfaces. In all that time, I have never had as poor results as I experienced using Ralph Laren River Rock Paint in my daughter’s new house. Afte two coats of paint on a well primed walls, the room looks terrible! I don’t think I will be buying anymore of your products. Why should I or anyone else be expected to pay twice the price for very poor quality paint.

I thought the “Ralph Lauren name” stood for quality and was worth the price. I certainly was wrong!!

alliek

I recently painted over the faux-wood paneling in my basement using a RL tinted (deeptone) base and 2 coats of RL Hunting Coat Read eggshell. I can see roller and brush marks everywhere. I have no objection to applying another coat but am concerned about making the walls darker: they are already at the color of the paint chip and darker in places. Would I be better off applying another coat of flat or suede? Should I use a lighter shade? Please help.

Dneise Spurlock

Frustration with touch up technique. I have already had to repaint one wall due to touch up mishap around ceiling – this is the worst touch up painting technique I have every encountered. Thank you for any touch up suggestion you can offer.

lisa

I didn’t have a very good experience with Behr’s sandwash, has anyone done the Ralph Lauren Leather paint?

Wendy Gill

I painted my family room using Ralph Lauren “Oar Lock” (a dark red cranberry color) satin. I love the results, even though it took 5 coats. The problem is, whenever someone or something touches the wall, it leaves a mark. We still need to hang a border, but can’t due to this problem. In addition, if we wipe the wall with a damp rag to try to remove the marks, not only does that create more marks, but red tint rubs onto the cloth.HELP!!!

Jen in RL Paint Pain

After 3 coats of a dark blue River Rock paint job, with roller marks still all over the place, i am SOOOO done with this crappy paint. Does anyone know — can you paint over the paint with the same color as the RL stuff only with regular paint and rollers? I need to finish that room and it looks like CRAP.

Handyman
      Participant

People have posted over 1000 messages on our forum requesting help or offering assistance with this brand of paint. In reading the messages we have heard horror stories and stories of great ease. While it may be a complex paint to apply the customer service has been consistently helpful. They have set up a toll free number to answer any application questions for this paint at 1-800-379-7656. They have also developed a series of online videos to insure that your results look like they do in the store.
      http://rlhome.polo.com/rlhome/products/paint/default_howto.asp
      So whether you are trying to paint in Antique Leather, River Rock or Suede they can help.
      You are also welcome to browse our 1000+ posts from the top.http://discussions.tommmymac.us/wwwboard/messages/1111.html

*We are not in any way affiliated with the Ralph Lauren Company nor its products.
      If the link or site is no longer functioning you are encouraged to send a note to info@discussions.tommmymac.us and reference this URL.

Viewing 23 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.