Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Unregistered-chriskmb

I wish to put down a ceramic tile floor in a kitchen. The existing floor is vinyl tile and is well adherred and in good condition- just old looking; no holes or gouges. The vinyl tile is glued directly on the cement slab. Can I put the ceramic tile over the vinyl? Do I need to put something on the vinyl before the mortar?

chriskmb
      Participant

Can I put ceramic tile directly over a stable vinyl tile floor? The vinyl tiles are glued to a cement slab. Do I need to put something on the vinyl before the mortar?

chriskmb
      Participant

I am going to put down a ceramic tile floor in the kitchen. The existing floor is vinyl tile over a cement slab. Can I put the ceramic on top of the vinyl? Do I need to put something on the vinyl before the mortar?

GreekSteel
      Participant

If you can take it off do it. If it is on a slab removing it should not be that hard. If not, screw some Durock down over it. If you think thats too thick (1/2 inch) they make thinner stuff (1/4). I would take off the tiles, but thats just me.

Unregistered-Doneonce

Ideally you should lift vinyl or apply a new subfloor. That said – two yrs ago i was in the same situation, and couldn’t remove the my sheet vinyl from the concrete slab, so i laid the new tile over top. You must pay particular attention to the type of adhesive you use. Make sure it is for this application. It costs twice as much as regular thin set, but it’s a cost you can’t ignore if you are going to do the job right.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.