• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Ann

I have an 18 year old electric furnace and would like to replace it with something more efficient. Should I replace my existing a/c unit with a heat pump or should I look at converting to propane or oil? To complicate things, I have small round ducts (from 30 years ago) that might need to be replaced with regular sized ductwork and vents (apparently these round holes are part of a high pressure system that doesn’t work well). Any advice on what I should do??

Harold hydronicnetwork.net

Keep the high-pressure system and have a repairman add a few more vents or introduce restrictors where necessary to improve comfort by balancing the system. The smaller ducts are more efficient in heat transfer than larger ducts with larger surfaces and the high air velocities keep the ducts cleaner.

Actually, electric heat is almost 100 percent efficient. A heat pump would require you to change the entire duct system, so the cost of reinstallation would negate savings over a long time. Comfort would never compare to a good furnace or boiler system.

Keep the existing ductwork and cooling coil. Propane in most areas costs as much as electric heat; but it gives the option of adding a hot water coil into the high-pressure system, then adding baseboard where desired or even radiant heat and hot water – all from a boiler that can mount on a wall or in a small location.

If oil is avalable, the costs of heat can be cut in half.

Rob

Try to find some referrals of good contractors in your area, and then get an estimate/quote from all the good ones. Chances are, they’ll all have various opinions on what to do. Just don’t pick the cheapest just because they are cheap, either.

From what I’ve seen lately, oil is looking like a good way to go, although storage of the oil is the ultimate issue. My place had a very old oil furnace when I bought it, but switched to a new propane system. I can hide the propane tank easily 50 yards away from the house, but the fuel oil tank isn’t as versatile in placement. Just something to keep in mind. Propane is about the same cost as oil in my area but you’ll have to investigate into that.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.