Viewing 8 reply threads
  • Author
      pattyk
      Participant

We have a Preway fireplace that was purchased new and installed in my parents home in the mid 70’s. They have since had to remove it, it has been in storage for quite a few years and now I would like to install it in a family room we are in the process of building. However I do not have the instructions any more. I have all the pipe and everything that is needed but our carpenters are hesitant to install it without the instructions. It is either a 128 or 136 model. Also some of the paint is peeling on the front and some rust in a few spots. Sometimes I think I would be better off parting it out and buying a new one. Could the Preway pipes be used on a new one? Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

LarryG
      Participant

i wouldn’t.every installation is different and the chances of everything being identical are slim.then what happens if you need a part down the road.you’re asking for trouble.invest in a new fireplace one that is currently being manufactured and up to date.

tomh
      Participant

This unique fireplace was classic 70’s. Red Brown or Green in a hexagon shape with nice window glass and a heat distributing fan. Don’t even think of installing it today. My in-laws still have one I put in in the 70s at a cottage on a lake. Works great. But when building new, you certainly don’t want to start off with a dated and inefficient fireplace. this thing is perfect for listening to 70’s classics and having a card game by the fire; but a new house??? I don’t think so.

As far as parting it out, there is still some call for replacement pipes, grates and miscellaneous parts, but give it a merciful end in the scrapyard where it belongs. No disrespect, I have fond memories of the long ago discontinued Preway, but the century has turned.

homebild
      Participant

Don’t even attempt to reinstall this.
      It won’t pass a code inspection without the manufacturer’s installation instructions.

Unregistered-sim

I have the installations instructions for your B128 – B142 your requesting, my self am trying to locate replacement fire bricks B136. icecreamjack@aol.com

Unregistered-vip824

During one of the hurricanes — we lost the chimney top – the fireplace is a preway. Do you know how we could contact them to get a replacement??

Unregistered-schnowhite@comcast.net

we have a zero clearance preway wood burning Model BE111-AP B&S fireplace that has two cracks in the ceramic firebrick back and side panels – can these be fixed and who can fix them? We live in Winthrop Harbor, IL

Unregistered-ConnieP

I have a preway fireplace model B136-SEM type A. I need new glass doors for it. These are a set of 4 glass doors that interlock and slide, edged in brass. If you have these, in good shape, I’m interested in purchasing. Thanks- Connie P

billnickel
      Participant

I have a Preway zero clearance fireplace model #B1 36 B, if anyone has any information on replacement parts or a used unit please reply to billnickel@netzero.com.

Viewing 8 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.