Viewing 14 reply threads
  • Author
      Kathy

My daughter found a condo within her budget and that she really liked but the home inspector found polybutylene piping. Can you give me any insite into pbp? We have heard there is a class action suit against the manufacturer of pbp until 2004 whereby they will replace the piping should it burst. Of course, should the piping burst after you leave for work then the place would be a disaster upon returning home – then again, what happens if your neighbors pipes burst? The condo is 12 years old. My husband talked to a few plumbers and they seem to advise against buying. We don’t know if we are overreacting to something that might never happen or it is best to look for a place without pbp. Would appreciate any information and/or advice you can give us as she needs to make a decision soon.

TOP OF THREAD EDIT BY MODERATOR…
      The Cox vs. Shell settlement involves certain polybutylene plumbing systems installed between January 1, 1978 and July 31, 1995. Claimants may be eligible for a replacement of their plumbing system at no charge and/or a leak expense reimbursement if they qualify.

Claimant must presently own or have previously owned a home plumbed with a polybutylene plumbing system and they must have experienced a qualifying leak. Claimant can complete a claim eligibility form on line at pbpipe or request a claim eligibility form from by calling 1-800-392-7591 or by writing to the Consumer Plumbing Recovery Center (CPRC) at PO Box 869006, Plano, TX 75086-9006. The CPRC will review the form and determine the claimant’s eligibility. For more details visit pbpipe

This information is posted at the ******* FAQ and has been added to this post to assist persons using search engines that arrive at this web site. ******* FAQ

Harold Kestenholz – Hydronic Network

If the house is 12 years old and there hasn’t been a problem, then the fittings have been connected properly. Most of the system problems were from incorrect fitting connection. This still leaves the possibility of hardening of the tubing, especially on the hot water lines. It is better to replace the tubing with copper or PEX as soon as possible; before a connection lets loose and renovation is required. The choice of purchase now depends upon whether you want to do a $3000 tubing replacement job and still feel you have a good buy.

Kurt Bramstedt

Kathy,

My advice would be to stay away from the condo unless you want to repipe it. I am a salesman for a plumbing wholesaler and manufacturer in California. My boss used to represent Quest pipe and is still getting depositions for lawsuits involving the product. Many building officials are now reluctant to approve other new types of pipes for us in their cities because of the lawsuits on Quest. One city, Santa Maria, Ca was named in a $5 million lawsuit because they approve the product.

It is not a matter if the product will fail, but when. Here in California, everyone in the plumbing industry knows about it. The 2 problems were that the pipe would split or the aluminum crimps would fail as aluminum expands easily with heat.

If the water quality in the area of the condo is non-acidic ( ph level preferably in the range of 7.5 to 8.5) go with type K copper. I would not recommend PEX pipe, but would recommend KITEC pipe. It is a composite pipe which has a 30 year warranty on the pipe and fittings, can handle a water ph range of 2 thru 12, is 865 times better insulating than copper, and offer 20 to 70% better flow rate than PEX. It is also the quietest pipe available. Look up KITEC on the web and you should be able to find their website. It is produced by a company called IPEX out of Canada, with offices in Denver.

Kelly

We purchased the mobile home we are living in today in March of 1996; it was manufactured in 1987. The

water in our area has been heavely chlorinated over the past 6 years; thus eating away at our pipes.

We did not know that this house had the Polybutylene piping in it, when we purchased it; nor was it disclosed by the inspectors or the previous owners.

On Fathers day of this year; our pipes between the floor & under the house broke in our bathroom- flooding our bathroom and then again on July 4th in the same exact spot underneath our kitchen sink. In doing some investigating of the rest of our mobile home; we found that underneath the pantry sink & the other bathroom sink we found cracks in the piping in the same exact spots. The plumbers that came out to fix the first mishap told us to check into the Class Action suit regarding this piping; but everyone we have spoken

to said we fall outside the dates allowed.

We live in an area where there are many mobile homes & due to the constant chlorinating of our water; several people are having this problem.

I understand that the class action suit has been reopened for anyone who purchase a home from 1999 on. The last suite that was open was from 1978 to 1995. Why is there such a gap between those dates?

Why is there no restitution for anyone who owns a home with the defective Polybutlene Piping in it? How do we find out who to contact in our area? Insurance companies do not even want to speak to you if you have this piping in your home & if we do file a claim – we were told our insurance would be dropped. I think any home built between 1978 and 1995 regardless of when it was purchased should get restitution for a product that was not even tested before it was put on the market. And if you do research under Shell Oil Company &

the class action suit you will find that it was not tested against chlorine.

David J Foster

I live in a track of houses, ALL plumbed with poly buet . They started leaking at about the same time.Lots of walls and ceilings damaged,floods. I have been plumbing for 27 years, this stuff stinks. Can we do something leagally? THANK FOR YOUR TIME. Dave Foster

sybil wiseman

my whole house is done in the pbp and my hot water tank has sprung a leak twice .The first of which was all over my lawn and the other all over my floor. So you see I have a minor problem that needs taken care of.

Fay Hickle

I had my 8th leak yesterday and was advised by the plumber that my home, which I have lived in since July, 1995, has this Quest piping. He told me that the entire house will need to have new piping, in order to avoid this recurring problem. He also told me that there is a law suit against Quest, but I cannot find any information about who to call or where to write or what to do. If anyone has information, please send me an email. I need help. Thank you.

Becky Johnson

Just wanted to know about the law suit. My pipes just burst in my home and did thousands of dollars worth of damage. they were quest pipes

Mark Hexamer

My house has this stuff, how do I file a claim. It is starting to leak at the joints!

Cecilia Morcombe

My 87 year old grandmother have quest pipping in her house, and has had it brake twice. Each time they had to

brake up her floor, because she is on a slab. She really needs help on this. She is on a fix income.

Thank you

Brenda Abad

I have a quest pipe in my house and the pipe in the garage burst yesterday.I heard about the class acion regarding the quest pipe, the plumber who fixed the problem informed it is too late for me to claim file. My house was built in 1988.Can I still get new piping installed without paying large amount of money for it.I need informations regarding this matter . Thank you so much.

Tami

how do you become part of the law suit?

kelly

i live in a 1996 riverview trailer and it has Polybutylene pipes do i qualify for the recall to have them replaced?

Handyman
      Participant

The Cox vs. Shell settlement involves certain polybutylene plumbing systems installed between January 1, 1978 and July 31, 1995. Claimants may be eligible for a replacement of their plumbing system at no charge and/or a leak expense reimbursement if they qualify. Claimant must presently own or have previously owned a home plumbed with a polybutylene plumbing system and they must have experienced a qualifying leak. Claimant can complete a claim eligibility form on line at http://www.pbpipe.com or request a claim eligibility form from by calling 1-800-392-7591 or by writing to the Consumer Plumbing Recovery Center (CPRC) at PO Box 869006, Plano, TX 75086-9006. The CPRC will review the form and determine the claimant’s eligibility. For more details visit http://www.pbpipe.com

Unregistered-Vin Thomas

Isn’t this interesting? I just found out about this today as I was looking for a replacement crimp used on the female side of the connection. Of course the leaky subject is behind a wall that I had to tear into. All because of this shoddy ugly semi rigid gray hose.

Turns out I’m 2 years late on getting this taken care of. So, isn’t it lovely that we weren’t even notified of a potential issue? I am not a happy camper and I am not a rich man. Oh well, so much for consumers having the right to know when crap like this goes on…

Viewing 14 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.