Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      jessiegold
      Participant

We have the windowsill in our bathroom that has started to crack and peel. How and where do I start to fix this problem? Do I scrape all of the paint off? Then what do I need to do? Sand it, prime it, then paint it? What type of paint would be best for a bathroom window sill? (oil based?). I am a newby to DIY home repair, so any information and guidance would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Faron79
      Participant

For any new coatings to adhere, what they’re applied TO makes all the difference!

Use a narrow scraping putty-knife, and gently scrape loose paint off.
      Next…get out the sanding-sponges!
      * Start with a 100-grit to sand quickly through all degraded wood/paint.
      * When down to a sound wood-layer, sand again with 150-grit, then finish with a 220.
      * Remove ALL dust.

NOW you’ve got a good, sound, smooth surface that will HOLD ONTO new paint!

* Use a top-notch Latex primer applied with a GOOD brush.
      * 3 hours later, inspect your primer well. If ya notice any lingering roughness, primer-runs, etc., wait a few more hours so primer will sand well. Use the 220-grit sponge.
      * Remove dust and prime again. Inspect smoothness again.
      * If smooth, you’re ready for TWO full coats of a QUALITY interior Semi-gloss LATEX paint.
      * Check out ACE’s new Cabinet, Door & Trim paint…this stuff’s nice!
      * Let paint cure 2 days b4 a load of steam hits it. Full cure takes a month.

Oil paints are irrelevant now, and soon will be extinct. Modern 100% Acrylic-Latex paints are so good now, that oils aren’t needed.

Faron

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.