Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      shall5867
      Participant

I recently painted the walls and ceiling in my living room with Behr Ultra satin finish paint. This is the paint that has the primer in the paint. On my walls I am very happy with it. The cathedral ceiling is another story. It is streaky looking and shows dull spots and roller marks in some areas. I used a micro-fiber roller on both walls and ceiling, and painted it mostly in straight rows, going over it until I had it smoothed out evenly. The height of the ceiling does make it difficult for me to paint even with an extender handle.

I don’t think this is the fault of the paint as I had similar and much worse results previously in a bathroom with Lowe’s Olympic satin paint, even after 2 coats. My walls had only a very poor quality primer on them previously. (Lowe’s cheapest primer was of better quality than the primer that existed on my walls).

I have never had issues painting walls before until I started trying to paint the walls in my new home. I have enough paint to go over the ceiling again, but I am wondering if I am doing something wrong or if the results were the cause of the really rough primer that was on the walls. I am hesitant just to re-paint and end up with the same results.

painter21
      Participant

If you have dull areas when using a satin finish, it sounds like the coverage isn’t as good as it should be.

When painting cathedral ceilings, even with an extension pole, the leverage isn’t as good, meaning that you may not be able to press as hard because of the height. Painting up and down in the same direction is the way to do it.

It sounds like the ceiling needs another coat.If you are putting a satin finish over a flat primer, the satin will soak in. Your second coat will give you the true sheen, taking away the dull spots.

The only other problem could be the thickness of your roller cover. 1/2″ is good for drywall.

Good Luck!

Learn to paint like a professional “The Tingle Way”. Check out our e-book and take advantage of our coaching/consultation program. Visit us today at http://www.tinglepainting.com

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.